Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, seems like i'm having the slow driver's side window much discussed before in previous threads.

i could not find how to apply the silicone grease/spray.

how and do i apply to the window seal???
do i do it with the window up or down?

thanks
again!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
It has to be in the rubber slot so you have to put the window down.

I used silicone "O" ring lubricant that looks like vaseline but doesn't attack rubber. I have only needed to do it once in 5 years, but now it needs it again. I seem to recall that I used a few "Q" tips and either water or Isopropyl alchol to clean out dirt first, then I applied a thin coat to the seals probably also using "Q" tips.

I'm not sure how the Shin Etsu stuff from the dealer is applied. :D

Easy does it, you don't want to get excess silicone grease spread around.

·
Registered
702 Posts
where exactly is this slot is needs to go in?

is there any kind of residue on the window i should expect?

my drivers side window has gotten real slow lately, its now like 5 seconds behind the passenger window when i run them up together

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I probably should have said rear and top window channel or guide. Just look to see what surfaces the window contacts as it is going up.

·
Registered
702 Posts
top window channel?

sorry, im still confused?

a diagram maybe?

am i the only one this confused?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
With the window all of the way down, you will notice where the window "travels" within the upper frame of the door. These are the window channel portions that you can get to (with taking apart the door).

Clean out that area first with something like Windex and paper towel (or something that will not harm the rubber). Then put a light coating of whatever lubricant you intend to use. Then check the operation of the window for improvement.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
When the window is completely closed it contacts rubber surfaces that prevent rattling and air infiltration. If the friction of this "seal" increases the window slows down or stops. Silicone reduces friction and provides a long lasting lubricant that doesn't attack the rubber.

Do not lubricate the bottom seal. If you put silicone on the bottom seal your window will be streaked with grease every time you move it down then up. However, treating the other surfaces especially the one towards the rear will help restore normal functioning of the window.

·
Registered
702 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Do not lubricate the bottom seal. If you put silicone on the bottom seal your window will be streaked with grease every time you move it down then up.
that was the biggest thing that was confusing me

thanks all for the helpful words :D

·
Registered
946 Posts
I fiexed both slow windows on my 2000 last weekend.

There are many reason why the windows are slow.

- The steel tracks were rusted, and getting ticker. It is reducing the space in the windows chanel. I removed all tracks, sandblast and repaint.

- I replace both rubber channels. The old ones were dry and very hard.

- I removed and clean the regulator with brake cleaner to reomve the silicone grease that I have puted last summer. This grease get gummy when it is cold. I now apply withe grease on tracks and into cable shield.

My windows are now faster than ever. I did not put silicone lube in the channles. This is only a temporary fix.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got the Shin-Etsu grease for $16 from the Honda dealer and used a q-tip to get it deep down both side grooves/channels with the windows lowered and greased all the way up to the top. Now it's slippery and the windows go up and down FAST, with no slowing or straining of the motor. CHEAP FIX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts