Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone know the "slow vehicle lane" that is put on some steep up hills to allow big rigs and such to make it up the hill without stopping traffic?

who here uses it in their hybrid?

around here the average speed in the cruise lane is like 65 or 70, and the passing lane(s) go up from there...and since i drive about 55 or so...i feel bad backing up traffic...but on the other hand i dont want people to see the hybrid in the slow vehicle lane thinking i cant make it up the hill...so generally if theres alot of traffic behind me, i will use it, but if not, i wont... :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know what you mean.

On a road trip a couple of years ago I was climbing a mountain pass in the Canadian Rockies. By the time I was two thirds of the way up, my batteries were empty. I didn't want people to think that the Insight couldn't climb the hill, so I put my foot down and kept up with traffic. The grade got steeper and the computer kept telling me to shift down by lighting up the green down arrow on the dash (something you don't see very often). I kept shifting down until at 100Km/h it asked me to shift down into second gear. I shrugged and downshifted. Screaming along at redline we went up and over the top.

Going down the other side, we were the only car that didn't have to ride the brakes. The regenerative drag was enough to hold our speed while everyone else was burning up their brake pads. It took 12 minutes to go from empty to full on the battery meter.

Bill

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't care what people think about hybrids, I use the slow vehicle lane since that will give the best FE, which is the point of the whole thing to me. And not obstructing traffic, both for safety reasons and to avoid pissing off the mentally unstable ones. I even signal BEFORE I come to the extra lane to let them know that I WILL be pulling over.
Of course there are the lunatics that decide the slow vehicle lane is actually the special just-for-them passing lane....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Most people have long forgot that we should be driving in the rightmost lane unless we are passing, no matter how many lanes there. Sure, if the traffic is neck and neck on all lanes, then fine, stay where you are. But I see people in the left lane of a 5 lane freeway and nobody in sight but him and me. I've even pulled into the leftmost lane when I saw a guy creeping slowly up towards me. With only him and I he still refused to move himself from the left lane. It's pathetic how some people drive.

So yea, I use the rightmost lane, unless I"m passing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im talking about the lanes which are specifically set up for slow, heavy vehicles when going up a hill...they run only the length of the hill...start at the bottom and end at the top of the hill...if there is a permanent right hand lane I will of course always use it

·
Registered
118 Posts
Me too....

There are even "passing lanes" on some state highways. It's funny just how many people ignore the "keep to the right unless passing". I call these people "left lane addicts". You see it everyday I'm sure. They won't change lanes no matter what. I've adopted the idea when I'm in a hurry, the right lane is now considered the passing lane. Since there is no way in heck that the left lane addicts will ever move over.

So, yea, even if you aren't a truck slowing down traffic, what's it going to hurt to move over to the rightmost lane? Afraid someone is going to pass you? Oh my God no.... So, bottom line is, that is why they do it. They dont want anyone to get passed them, so they stay in the left.

·
Registered
495 Posts
ikhoudvanu199 said:
... who here uses it in their hybrid?
... since i drive about 55 or so...i feel bad backing up traffic..te.
... but on the other hand i dont want people ... thinking i cant make it up the hill...so generally if theres alot of traffic behind me,
[end quote]

Here in Pennsylvania we have such hills and roads marked as "TRUCKS RIGHT LANE ONLY."

And like you I to like to run along at fifty to fifty five or so (at 2000 RPM or so) as opposed to sixty and seventy mph.

As for people thinking you can't make it up the hill in your little car, why should you even care what they think? We both know you'll get up there, just not as fast as the gas hogs will.

As for a lot of traffic behind you, if you're familiar with the roads in your area, especially the shoulders on those roads, if you have three, four or more cars behind you, when and where practical do pull over and run along on the shoulder and let the "fast runners" as I call them, get by you. On this end I do this a lot and you'd be surprised at how often you'll get a friendly horn tap or two from them as they pass you. It's just good driving courtesy - something which in a large measure is lacking so often these days on our roads and highways.

Hope this helps.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
On my way to town there are frequently villages where all traffic must slow to 30 MPH or less. If I'm being trailled I'll often pull to the side, then rejoin. I loose little time and have less stress that way. I'm generally near the 50 MPH limit and getting 80+ MPG these days. :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It's frustrating how few people have a clue about passing. I spend a lot of time on two-lane roads, and people will tailgate me for miles even when there are plenty of wide-open, safe passing areas. Yakking on their cell phones, usually... :(

·
Registered
685 Posts
Exactly! I had an idiot in a Taurus wagon tailing me today on a 40mph 2-lane. There are three passing zones. There was oncoming traffic in the first one, but the second was wide open and he ignored it. Oncoming traffic in the third one, so he blasts past me on the double yellow right after the zone. Which was double yellow because there was a side road on the left. He finished passing me right AT the side road, so if anyone had been turning out of there it would have been crash time.
Then he got caught behind another car ahead and got stuck at the light a mile further on, which turned green just as I got there.......

·
Registered
118 Posts
"which turned green just as I got there"
That's too funny. I get a big kick out of doing that every day that I drive to work.
I too, travel on some 2 lane roads periodically. I had one guy do the same thing, except he was giving me the bird as he passed me by. But it took him forever to figure out that you can actually use that lane to pass. I practically had to come to a complete stop, get out of my car, and explain it to him. Too darn funny.... I knew I wasn't the only one to have that experience.

·
Registered
685 Posts
JakkedUp said:
"which turned green just as I got there"
That's too funny. I get a big kick out of doing that every day that I drive to work.
Actually it was pure luck, not skill on my part. The road is twisty and woodsy just before the light so there's no way to see it and time it. But it DID feel good! Up to that point I had been muttering to myself that it was much better not having that jerk gnawing on my rear bumper, and that thought was only somewhat calming.

JakkedUp said:
I practically had to come to a complete stop, get out of my car, and explain it to him.
That's hilarious. Did you actually talk to the moron?

·
Registered
118 Posts
No I didn't. But it's ludicrous that on a 55mph limit 2 lane paved road through the countryside, that a guy should tailgate a person putting along enjoying the trip and scenery at 45 - 50 mph. He wouldn't pass, there was no traffic, and even after slowing down to about 30, he still couldn't figure it out, just road my tail. Finally, it must have dawned on him, gee, I wonder what the absense of those yellow lines in the middle of the road means? Duhhh, he passed... flipping me off as he went by. No suprise here and I just laugh it off, since that is common place here.

·
Registered
495 Posts
JakkedUp said:
... I had been muttering to myself that it was much better not having that jerk gnawing on my rear bumper, and that thought was only somewhat calming.
On this end I can't begin to count the number to "red light races" I've lost - not that I've tried to win any.

For what it may be worth to you, whenever and wherever possible let the idiots get by you - better they have their accidents way up ahead of you - without you being involved.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks, I'll try to use that thought. I guess part of the reason I was fired up in this case is that this idiot could have included me and my beloved Insight in his accident.

OTOH, on the way home last night on the same stretch of 2-lane someone settled in behind me a comfortable distance back and left me alone. Which was especially appreciated because I was working on a record commute and got it. So I guess things balance out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts