Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used one of these dentmaster type people, the ones the "persuade" the dent away?

I was wondering about the effectivness of the process on the aluminium body, give aluminiums work hardening

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
IIRC Sputnik (Kathleen, somewhere in Alabama) did.

The quality of the results depend both on the dent (not all are good candidates for this process) and the skill of the technician.

Just tell them up front its aluminum, it shouldn't present any additional difficulties vs. plain vanilla steel. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "people", but if you mean the as-seen-on-tv devices like "The Ding King", I actually did buy one quite a few years ago when I was selling my wife's old Dodge Neon which had a palm sized dent.

The way it works, is that it has a plastic circle or football shaped tip, which you adhere to the car's paint using a black tinted hot melt glue, using an included hot melt glue gun.

Once the glue has cured for 15 minutes or so, you thread in a gear puller type device into the tip, and adjust the puller's padded legs so that its taut and the load is distributed around the dent, and then you tighten the main screw which pulls the dented metal outwards.

It works "ok" on anything around 2x the size of the puller tip. Any smaller dent, you'll risk creating an outward bulge in the metal, and much larger than that, you'd have to do many pulls around the edge until its flatter and maybe not ever get it quite right.

Needless to say, there is also risk of tearing off the paint and causing dents where the puller legs sit if the glue adheres a bit too well on a stubborn dent.

-Shawn

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just googled the term, and now realize you are located in England, and there is a large franchise in UK and Austrailia called Dentmaster.

The one in Austrailia actually call themself "The Ding King" too. :lol:

So its basically looks like a business around that cheesy dent removal device I bought. I don't think we have such a business here in USA, at least I haven't seen one locally anyhow. :)

Here is a similar device called "Pops-A-Dent":
http://www.pops-a-dent.net/index.html

I'm not sure if these "PDR" (Paintless Dent Removal) businesses are much more than guys who are skilled with hot melt glue guns and watch a lot of TV, or if they have some additional magic for what they do...

Depending on what they charge, it might be worth it to buy the cheesy device and try it yourself. :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
rtm242 said:
So its basically looks like a business around that cheesy dent removal device I bought. I don't think we have such a business here in USA,...
There are several.

Dent Doctor
Dent Wizard

Just to name two.

AFAIK their dent removal devices are a bit more sophisticated. But the skill is in the hands of the operator. I've personally seen a dent from _softball_ sized hail removed on my sister-in-law's car that I'd have sworn couldn't have been done.

There are limits; dents on body creases, dents that are inaccessable from the back side, etc. The technique is to massage the dent from the backside out. AFAIK pulling from the front side has much more limited results.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I actually bought "The Ding King" or whatever it's called also. Seems to be pretty much useless on the Insight. It helped a little with a large dent, got rid of about 50% of it, but that's about it. Or perhaps I was not skilled enough in it's use :?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I have utilized the services of a local "Paintless Dent Removal" guy twice on a Nissan Maxima. My dents were at the front and rear panels (between the bumper and the tire). Mine were pretty heavy scrapes and for less than $100, he made it look acceptable. I was missing a little paint and I had creased one part. As John said, if there are creases or if the paint is gone it is tougher, but I was satisfied with the result since the car was old and I was cheap.

The technique was simple but involved a couple of tricks and some patience. The first step was to suction cup a straight edge near the dent. The guy used the reflection of the straight edge to help him with alignment. Then he had a couple of aluminum or steel rods with a rubber knob on the end. He goes inside the body panel and pushes out on the dent a little bit at a time. He wedges the rods against something to give him leverage.

As long as the aluminum wasn't creased or stretched to badly, it should be possible to do the same thing on the Insight. I would warn the technician first about the aluminum and ask him to work slowly and not push too hard.

Many Used Car lots use these guys to removed small door dings and such before they put a car on the lot. Makes the car look more like new. One problem with this is that many of the good technicians have contracts with several lots and are so busy that they won't help individuals.

One idea - call the Audi dealer and ask if they use any dent removal guys on an A8 (aluminum).

Good luck. Let us know if it works out (take some before and after photos).

Jim

·
Registered
187 Posts
All our vehicles (and the house roof ) suffered extensive hail damage last spring. Of the group, only Papaya has been repaired.
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... =hailstone

The "Paintless Dent Repair" was phenomenal and Papaya looks absolutely gorgeous. Work was done at a body shop contracted to our insurance company. Coincidently it is located a few yards behind our Honda dealership which worked out well for replacement moulding, trim, etc.

I was careful to write and discuss with the shop manager important items such as the Insight's aluminum body. Even so, something went wrong and they returned the car with a perfectly repaired body but badly scratched up and gouged side windows. Papaya eventually received two new side windows. To this day I'm not sure what happened at the body shop to damage those windows.

It's getting warmer in Alabama. Hoping it doesn't mix up more monster hailstorms this spring. I'd better clean up the garage. Good luck in your dent removal. Done correctly, the results are truly amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Ment to post this earlier.

When the car was in being repaired after the break in I had a word with the body shop about the best way to sort the small dent in the R/H rear wing.

He had experiance of aluminum bosies as they are a Ferrari & Lamborghini approved repair shop.

When I picked the car up the dent had gone, he said the guy was in ding some work on a Gallardo they had in so he did mine at the same timw, no charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts