Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was bored yesterday and decided to make a Hot air intake with a friend of mine. We went to home depot and bought air conditioning duct and zip ties and made a very simple modification to the intake. We just connected it to the front of the open snorkel and wrapped it around to a few inches from the exhaust manifold. I have included some pictures, the project cost me $15. When we turned the car on no check engine lights of any sort and you can feel the air pulling from the duct. We figure the hot air from the exhaust manifold will increase the intake air temp by a few degrees and increase my gas mileage. Tell me what you guys think, and if this is safe.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5927 ... 017qz1.jpg
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9669 ... 018hb0.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2369 ... 019mx2.jpg

[Mod edit removed img function. Please review the rules regarding pic posting limits. Also expanded title HAI is not a previously used or well known acronym]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Looks somewhat familiar :!: ;) (see the link in my sig) There are several threads with different members variations.

IMO the type of duct used will rapidly fail due to chaffing from normal engine vibrations. And remember, MPG benefit is only realized by limiting "cold" weather losses. Read: MPG won't fall off as much in the spring / fall. And there is an ultimate low outside temp that will be too great to limit MPG losses.

I run mine year round without a summer "problem", but no measureable summer MPG benefit either.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen yours, which led me to try to create something on my own for fun. I'll have to see how it holds out. ;)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I used aircraft-type SCAT ducting for mine (happened to have a leftover piece just the right length). It's held up fine for about 4 years.

However, I recently bought a ScanGauge which shows the intake air temperature (IAT). Now that it's getting into summer, I'm seeing IAT go up into the 140-150 degree range when climbing uphill on a hot day. (It drops fairly quickly on level or downhill, though.)

I've read in another thread that someone had worked out that the optimum temp was around 120 degrees, and wondered if anyone has put a valve in the duct so as to get a more optimum IAT?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
John, you have a great memory :) Here is the link to the automatic warm air intake:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... highlight=

The pictures posted earlier were put on a server at my previous job and it does not appear to be up and running anymore. I just updated the photo links to point to my new server. I also changed the sensor adjustment screw to open around 77F ahwile back and updated that info as well in the original post.

I may do some rework on it this summer. I would really like to have the airflow from the front be more direct so I will probably move the opening over to the right hand side just above the radiator (far right). I guess I got to get a scan gauge to see what the internal air intake temp sensor reads.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
344 Posts
Keep a close watch on it. AC duct has a plastic duct inside the insulation jacket. From the pics, it looks partially compressed. It could restrict airflow. To rich of a fuel mixture could have an adverse effect on your o2 sensors and cats.

A shorter route would be to flip the rubber snorkel 180° to where the inlet is below the battery box. I bought a short piece of metal flex pipe for exhaust that I ran back to the upper cat. It was fastened to an aluminum shroud that I fabbed from flashing (for homebuilding). It has been on almost 3 years. I like this version since it shortens the length of the intake and is concealed.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Just an update for those interested: We've had a bit of a heat wave lately, with 100+ temperatures, and the ScanGauge was showing 130+ temps in normal driving, going up to 140 when climbing mountains. I remembered reading that 110-120 was supposedly optimum, so I disconnected my hot air intake and reconnected the stock one. (This takes about 30 seconds.)

I definitely see increased power while climbing, and no noticable decrease in MPG. So now I just need to figure out a good way to out in a Y connector with a flapper valve to regulate IAT at 110-120.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts