Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We enjoyed a fabulous Christmas celebration with some good friends. We feasted on freshly-baked turkey, honey-glazed ham, fantastic sausage stuffing, breads, veggies, jello, and all the trimmings.

All the while watching the snow pile higher and deeper throughout Christmas day.

Yep, over the last eight hours we've gotten nearly a foot of snow, with much more to come, it looks like. The National Weather Service has this to say:

...NORTHERN WASATCH FRONT-SALT LAKE AND TOOELE VALLEYS- SOUTHERN WASATCH FRONT- 1000 PM MST THU DEC 25 2003

... HEAVY SNOW WARNING THROUGH FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILL CONTINUE THE HEAVY SNOW WARNING FOR ALL OF THE WASATCH FRONT THROUGH FRIDAY. THIS INCLUDES THE AREAS FROM IDAHO BORDER SOUTH TO NEPHI... AS WELL AS THE TOOELE VALLEY.

SNOW... HEAVY AT TIMES... WILL CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY. STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH FRIDAY ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM 5-12 INCHES NORTH OF SALT LAKE AND 6-14 INCHES TO THE SOUTH.

Merry Christmas to me! We planned on putting a humongous bow on my new Insight Christmas morning, but were precluded by snow on the car.

Now I guess I better reconsider my plan to not get those snow tires to replace my Potenzas for the next four months... then again, I don't think the Insight can even get through more than 6 inches of snow due to low ground clearance!

In case you wonder about the ground clearance question, here's a picture. This is on the lee of the house (the side away from the wind) so where the Insight is parked, with snow partially cleared off, is about four inches shallower than the rest of the snow past the house where our van is parked...

Here's Salt Lake compared to the rest of the nation on Christmas Day, and my Insight around 1 AM after getting back from our Christmas party:

It wasn't bad for our van to plow through the slush, but it will be interesting driving if this continues nicely through the winter as we hope it will (we badly need the water). Ahh, the fun! Too bad I won't get to drive my baby for a day or two -- except out of the driveway to shovel!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Redgiki:

___I don’t exactly wish for all that snow but I don’t think many Insighter’s have seen their own with a foot of fresh powder on top of it! That was a great pic of your little beauty with her winter coat on ;)

___Good Luck and I hope you get a chance to drive it in the next week or two …

PS: Did Santa order you a Jim Holmgren produced Insight cut dead pedal? He did for me :)

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2ikr8geq][email protected][/email:2ikr8geq]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A whozawhatchit?

I have no idea what "a Jim Holmgren produced Insight cut dead pedal" is -- clue me in please?

We had another six inches by this morning. The overall prediction for our little town has been revised from 5-12 inches up to 24-30 inches by tonight, with continued snowfall expected through Saturday. Woot, almost three feet! At that height, I'm going to be burning a lot of calories shoveling my driveway, and my Insight's going nowhere fast...

In two feet of snow (four or five on the side of the roads due to plows), only 4x4's with big knobbly tires seem to be able to get around well. I don't feel so bad that I can't drive my baby when I hear all the frames scraping on the ice around my neighborhood.

See, now my brain is going "Was the Insight really a better purchase than that gas-guzzling Jeep I saw for sale for $5K the other day?"...

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Redgiki:

___Here is just one of a few relevant threads on Jim’s dead pedal GB/setup …

Driver’s Footrest

___And here is a great pic. I have a few more pics that Jim linked to me but this one is about the best … You should see it with an all-red underlayment, it’s beautiful!

___As for snow and such, that is what the MDX is for although in reality, there hasn’t been a major heavy snow of consequence to shut down roads and highways in at lest 3 years in the Chicagoland area … Now that I have said that, we will get hit with one of the 26 – 29”ers next month ;)

___Good Luck in the snow.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1myixgqj][email protected][/email:1myixgqj]

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"...I don't think the Insight can even get through more than 6 inches of snow due to low ground clearance!"

Yes it can. Spent Xmas Eve with some friends at Lake Tahoe. To get there I go from my place at about 4800' over a 8900' pass, and down to about 6500', all in the same storm that Utah got Xmas day. Anywhere from 2-6 inches on the roads, with drifts up to a foot or so. Had to put chains on, but otherwise the Insight did just fine. Only problem was getting out of the friends' driveway - the plows had pushed up a good-sized berm, so I had to back off and take a second run at it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey...that's MY footrest! At $0.25 each for the felt at WallyWorld, I couldn't help but experiment with the colors. I also ordered one before I had the car; it was just that cool!

Thanks again to Jim.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
SeanW said:
Hey...that's MY footrest! At $0.25 each for the felt at WallyWorld, I couldn't help but experiment with the colors.
Very cute sparkly colors amongst the black. Mine is much more mundane, no custom backing and it's currently a little mud-splattered.

·
Registered
295 Posts
How can I get a footrest like that!!!

Greetings etienne, the Netherlands

·
Registered
67 Posts
Look in the modifications and technical section. They are being offered there.
______
Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts