Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a freak sudden winter storm here in CT last week which caught all drivers off guard. I left work early as did most everyone else it seemed to beat the storm, but that wasn't the case. Ended up in stop/go traffic for 3 hours with all electical accessories running. (lights, heater, rear defroster, wipers). Up until this time, I have Never in 3 years, 25K miles had the battery guage ever gone down more than 3 bars for any reason. After about 2 hours, I noticed the SOC down to 1/2 for the first time ever. I was able to make it home with about 1/2 charge left. My problem/question is: I have since been able to get SOC back to 100% where it normally is, but the slightest assist will drop SOC 1/4 or more instantly. It then will recharge slowly back to 100% The car has never acted this way before and I'm wondering if some damage was done to the battery pack or is the IMA experiencing some type of recal? Definitely not acting normally.....Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
It sounds to me that you are in for an MCM reset. Fuse 18 is I remember correctly (please verify before doing this)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What exactly is a MCM reset? Is that the same as a recal? (never experienced a recal) It appears the battery is reaching max charge according to the SOC guage, but the slightest amount of assist is draining it much faster than ever before. SOC went to 1/2 on todays commute, small hill, where in the past, on the same hill, I was lucky tp see a 1-2 bar drop from full. I'm debating whether to bring it in to Honda as they will probably tell me this is normal seeing as they are not as familiar with my car as I am. I can hear them now " A certain amount of drain is normal and will recharge as you continue driving" Yes this is true, but what I'm seeing is drastically different than what I've seen since owning the car brand new. I drive the same route every day and have never seen the SOC go below 2-3 bars.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Scott said:
What exactly is a MCM reset? Is that the same as a recal?
<snip>
A reset, IMA reset, MCM reset are manual recal's or IMA battery recalibrations.

Its simple, safe and effective. Take one in the evening and then on your commute the next morning the IMA will feel like new. <VBG>

(really)

If not then see your doctor. :p

HTH! :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the reset as suggested above and SoC went to full in less than 1 minute. The problem isn't the battery pack not being able to recharge, but that it is discharging at a much faster rate than ever before. This is under exactly the same conditions as previous 25K miles where SoC never went below 3-4 bars. Now it will very easily drop to 1/2 or less under identical conditions. My 20 mile commute home had never dropped SoC more than 2-3 bars where now it is less than 1/2. Looks as though a call to Honda may be in order. I definitely want it checked out under warranty in the event there is a problem now or in the near future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts