Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not able to find a thread on this. If one exists please point me too it.

I'm curious - those that switch to snow tires soon...do you keep the tire at the spec psi throughout the season? Do you boost it when the roads are clear? Winter out here can be very strange with weeks of no snow on the roads, then wham......

thanks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I keep my winter tires at about 42 psi most of the time.
But if I have to drive in slippery conditions for long distances sometimes I drop the pressure down to 32 psi to maximize grip in ice and snow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I keep my Nokian Hakka 2s at the same 40psi I use for the OEMs I run in the summer. Been very happy with them at that psi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here, in quebec, I found that you have to run at 32 for maximum grip. Everything elese is just not enough grip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I run 44psi front, 46psi rear on my winterforce tires. In the slick stuff the other day I went down to 32 front and rear and noticed a healthy improvement in traction. I have a 50 gallon compressor in the house, so refilling after snow storms isn't a hassle.

Also noted I experience about a 10% difference b/w high and low pressure setting.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. I put the Noki rsi's on my "one of a kind" custom ebay wheels and have them at 42 psi for now. Nice ride compared to the RE92's.

No snow yet, but I'm keeping a pressure gauge in the car. It sounds like 32 is the magic number when the snow belt womps me here in NE Ohio.

Btw - I'll post a picture soon of the car with the wheels. You'll all get a hoot over what I did for cheap. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
I keep my Nokian Hakkas at their rated pressure. I do not pump up since this can degrade traction. I need all the traction I can get in Central PA mountains. My mileage averages about 50 to 55 with the Hakkas, but I am no hypermiler. I get about 55 mpg with the stock tires which I do pump up.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the strange thing - The brand new noki RSI's are on, heavier wheels are on and the full front foamy radiator block is in. MPG is going up. go figure.... :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts