Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I love the outdoors and snowboarding and lugging the family and whoever else I can fit, I purchased an H2. It serves its purpose in that regard. However, all those other times, like when I'm by myself commuting to work, going to the bank, the grocery store, etc. I started to feel how extremely wasteful I was in such a big truck. Particularly when I started doing the math. For example, a 33 mile round trip to a friend's house cost me about $9.00 in gas (11.8 lmpg). WOW!

Enter in the Insight. I now enjoy the 50+ MPG I get from this little car and and don't mind the little drives to the bank, groceries, post office. And only costs $30 to fill up! Amazing!

I am still learning and practicing all the techniques presented here in this site and am amazed at the efficiency this car can bring when driven in ideal conditions.

Currently, I have achieved a personal best of 102.9 mpg on a 16 mile one-way trip to a cousin's house.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have always wanted an H1 so I can understand your reasoning.

My Insight's name is Edison and the licence plate frame says "Edison- the Anti Hummer".

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm a bit embarassed to admit we are a two person household with 3 cars,
(2 Subarus and the 2003 Insight). Sometimes you need to carry more than 2 people or a lot of cargo. The Insight is the perfect car for my 48 mile commute.

We know a family of 3 that owns a Prius and a Ford Explorer.

Gene

·
Registered
274 Posts
Insight (55mpg) and Toyota 4Runner (17mpg). 4Runner used only to tow boat and haul 3 dogs around.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I find it interesting that minivans with their one box design are the most space efficient for carrying bulk items and yet due to their family image are shunned by the 4x4 crowd.
They always use the can carry anything excuse for justifying the monster 4x4 purchase.
To each his own I guess but the very existence of these vehicles is partly why we are having the problems we are having today.The amount of rubber in one tire would make several sets for my little Daihatsu.

I would never consider a gas hog,if needed a rental truck would do the job.

DGate

·
Registered
274 Posts
Unfortunately most, if not all, "minivans" are unibody construction with very limited towing capacity, therfore making them useless for most anything other than hauling the kids to soccer and buying a weeks worth of groceries. I don't know of any minivan that will safely tow my 5000lb boat up a steep slippery boat ramp.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I also have two vehicles, my Insight and a 94 Ford Explorer. Each has its own purpose. The Insight for everyday use and the explorer for those occasions when I need a true offroad vehicle or tow a trailer. For the record I have put about 300 miles on the explorer this year and it remains parked most of the time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have 2 vehicles as well
my insight
2000 nissan pickup

the pickup i use for work, and moving stuff
and i really only drive it on the weekends
its a 6cyl that gets about 20mpg avg

overall for the 2 vehicles i buy less gas
than when i used to own the pickup only

·
Registered
466 Posts
Cars

One 2000 Insight, one BMW M3 convertible for those days where I want more "foot fun" or put the top down... also a back seat, and a motorcycle as well. Currently my Insight gets @ 90% of all driving and I'm considering selling my garage-queen BM'er

·
Registered
536 Posts
Scott writes:
[I don't know of any minivan that will safely tow my 5000lb boat up a steep slippery boat ramp.]
No you are right there Scott and therein lies our problems with all the toys we have today.They perpetuate the need for even more and bigger vehicles to transport them consuming more resources when we should all be rethinking our needs and getting back to basics.
Americans are in for a shock this century with the loss of this excess that has developed over the last fifty years.It will become increasingly expensive to run inefficient vehicles as energy supplies dwindle.

It seems most of the above owners have at least one redeeming virtue in the Insight but are still straddling the fence with a back up excess vehicle as well.The coming years will decide for you as to which will rule.

DGate

·
Registered
685 Posts
Scott said:
I don't know of any minivan that will safely tow my 5000lb boat up a steep slippery boat ramp.
Smaller boat maybe? Or keep it in a marina?
Seriously, I'm eagerly anticipating gas prices rising to the point where they reduce traffic on our river or at least shift people into smaller and/or more fuel-efficient craft. It isn't just the gas usage, it's the wakes that churn up the river too. From the constant waves crashing on the shore you'd think you were at the beach. The open-exhaust racket from the cigarette boats reverberates in the evenings.
Also, the hazards: a couple of weekends ago a drunk fell off his boat while cutting donuts and the boat crashed into a small sailboat and killed a woman and cut off another person's arm.
People used to enjoy the river at a less frenetic pace; hopefully we can get back to that. Ditto for the highways.

·
Registered
45 Posts
person-miles per gallon

The CVT Insight with me in it gets about 62.5 MPG.

We have an Explorer with a V8 (sometimes we need to tow farm equipment).

With 5 people in the Explorer at 20 MPG we are getting 100 person-miles per gallon.

You would need 3 Insights to move 5 people and the Explorer is more efficent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
;) My other car is a 1992 Range Rover... I think It averages about 15 to the gallon. I use it as a shopping trolley, and also when I need to carry more than 2 people. I look on it as a piece of history, and am slowly restoring it to its former glory. I love it almost as much as I love my little Insight. Both of them serve a purpose.

·
Registered
466 Posts
insight for my commuting. old chevy pickup for hauling crap to the dump. 88 grand wagoneer for camping/boat pulling, minivan for the wife. everything has its purpose. i guess i could ditch the p/u and the jeep and get a crewcab truck, but they are already built and paid for. and used very infrequently.

pretty much put 15k on the insight per year, and 10k on the minivan. couple of hundred on the others.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My dad drives our '00 Insight (~64 mpg), mom has an '06 Prius (~50 mpg), and I drive an '02 MINI Cooper S (~32 mpg). I also have a 1970 Lotus Europa project but haven't driven it enough to check mileage. I suspect it's in the 30's but what's the fun of cruising in a Lotus :badgrin: ?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Our Insight (55.9 LMPG) shares garage space with our New Beetle Convertible (27 MPG highway), our BMW 325Ci (30+ MPG highway), and our Dodge Ram Wagon conversion van 8-seater ("The Big *** Van," with 14 MPG highway). Each has its purpose in life. The BAV is nearly 10 years old, and even with less than 75,000 miles on it, would bring virtually no trade-in or sale value relative to its worth to me as a big-people mover, so we keep it, as it's in excellent shape still. The Beemer is My Beloved's and she uses it to go to work, and yes, it gets better than 30 MPG on the road. The NBC is a year old and has less than 2,000 miles on it, so it is definitely just a fun toy. And I just got back from a 800-mile trip to the Texas Hill Country in the Insight, averaging 54 MPG, with a/c on all the way, and crusing at 70+ MPH. What a car! :D

Don't apologize for your Hummer, although some naysayers would say a Chevy equivalent would have cost thousands less... it's your choice and what you want to drive and what makes sense to you. Enjoy your Insight, the way I see it, you're averaging the two and getting lousy Insight mileage, but outstanding H2 mileage, and great mileage overall... ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sold my motorboat. I have more fun in my canoe and it does not use any gas. Unfortunately, I can't carry the canoe on my Insight, so I have to use my wife's Subaru.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just for all those who own and try to justify their toys I actually know someone who has a tank for those fun days out when the desire hits,a thirty foot motorhome for traveling the planet,a private jet for traveling the planet quicker,a thirty six foot motor launch for the coming sea rises,and suffice to say none of his six cars are hybrids.
He claims to be able to justify this excess but I consider him to be a one man catastrophe in todays climate. Someone who is self centered selfish arrogant and giving the finger to other inhabitants sharing earthly resorces. :(
Same result whether you have one or several toys there is no excuse for them its down to ego.

DGate

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Someone who is self centered selfish arrogant and giving the finger to other inhabitants sharing earthly resorces.
Same result whether you have one or several toys there is no excuse for them its down to ego.

DGate
Toys are great, and I'm not going to wear a hair shirt if I can afford cashmere, so spare me the class struggle bit... The mythical Forrest Gump famously quoted "Now, Mama said there's only so much fortune a man really needs, and the rest is just for showing off." Let's put in some perspective: Your wealthy buddy is not just burning barrels of Euros or pounds, he's creating jobs and prosperity down the line with his immense wealth (I'm assuming he doesn't tender his own motor launch, or service and fly his own jet, I'm sure he employs scores of people to help him maintain his opulent lifestyle)... ;)

To get us back on topic, I do believe most posters on this forum are keenly aware of the fragility of our environment, and in their own private way do all they can to preserve and protect our immediate suroundings for the sake of those yet to come. An Insight is a small part of that overall process, but important enough for us to have invested a considerable amount of our fortune to acquire and maintain. How we maintain our lifestyle beyond transportation, how we amuse ourselves, how we manage our lives and those of our loved ones, involve decisions that are personal and presumably ecologically well-balanced, and without a doubt do not have to involve privation and sacrifice or doing without our "toys." It's all a question of balance and good sense. As jimb517 recently posted here: "The CVT Insight with me in it gets about 62.5 MPG. We have an Explorer with a V8 (sometimes we need to tow farm equipment). With 5 people in the Explorer at 20 MPG we are getting 100 person-miles per gallon. You would need 3 Insights to move 5 people and the Explorer is more efficent." Now there's an intelligent, thoughtful man with his priorities straight... :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
From all the replies it's clear that most people who own an Insight also have a larger vehicle for other duties. Or are extremely creative in figuring out how to put stuff into and on their Insight. Given the small size of the Insight that's only to be expected. Often it's an older vehicle they already owned and are downsizing from. Or kept because its tradein value was small or nil.

I too have a second vehicle: a Subaru Outback which I use mainly for occasionally cartopping rowing shells, bouncing over the dirt road to the rowing club (planning to switch to a bicycle for that), and snow duty in the winter. Thanks to the Insight, a Scangauge, and another website, I'm learning to drive it much more efficiently than I had been.

I DO get tired of numberology like "With 5 people in the Explorer at 20 MPG we are getting 100 person-miles per gallon. You would need 3 Insights to move 5 people and the Explorer is more efficent." Well, if one popped those 5 people into a Prius getting 50-60mpg then one would be getting 250-300 person-miles per gallon. If an Explorer is what one has and one only occasionally needs to carry 5 people, it doesn't make sense to buy a Prius, using the Explorer is absolutely the thing to do. But please don't expect me to agree that it's a particularly fuel-efficient solution.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.