Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were having all sorts of IMA problems with my daughter's gen1 Insight so we bit the bullet and bought a replacement battery from Bumblebee batteries. Installed over the weekend and it is now like a new car! IMA error is gone however we have a leftover Maintenance Required light. I checked with my OBDII reader and it does not detect any codes. I ran a code clear anyway but the indicator stayed. Any suggestions on how to find the error?

Ken

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
The Maintenance Required light is just a timer to tell you when to change the oil, every 7,500 miles. It has nothing to do with the operation of the car or IMA. The instruction to clear it is in your Owner's Manual.

Sam

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Maintenance Required light is just a timer to tell you when to change the oil, every 7,500 miles. It has nothing to do with the operation of the car or IMA. The instruction to clear it is in your Owner's Manual.

Sam
Got it. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Instructions in the owner's manual are incorrect. To turn off the maintenance light, with key OFF push and hold the trip reset button, turn key ON, wait for light to turn OFF, release button, turn key OFF. Trip buttons are often faulty so the procedure often doesn't work...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Instructions in the owner's manual are incorrect. To turn off the maintenance light, with key OFF push and hold the trip reset button, turn key ON, wait for light to turn OFF, release button, turn key OFF. Trip buttons are often faulty so the procedure often doesn't work...
The instructions in the manual worked fine for me. I don't remember what they were offhand but maybe Honda updated the manual for the later years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I will give it a try when my daughter gets home.

Ken

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
The instructions in the manual worked fine for me. I don't remember what they were offhand but maybe Honda updated the manual for the later years.
Could be. It's an old issue that's floated around for years... This is what my incorrect manual says: "To reset the maintenance required indicator, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position, then press and hold the trip meter reset button until the indicator resets."

Obviously they've forgotten a step - where you turn the key ON and you can actually see when the indicator resets, when it goes out. Otherwise you can sit there all day, pressing the trip button with the key in LOCK, and nothing changes.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Could be. It's an old issue that's floated around for years... This is what my incorrect manual says: "To reset the maintenance required indicator, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position, then press and hold the trip meter reset button until the indicator resets."

Obviously they've forgotten a step - where you turn the key ON and you can actually see when the indicator resets, when it goes out. Otherwise you can sit there all day, pressing the trip button with the key in LOCK, and nothing changes.
I'll see if I can run over to parking tomorrow and see what my manual says.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These instructions worked great for our 2000 Insight. Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick Update

Three weeks with a new BumbleBee battery and the Insight is doing great!

After installing the battery we noticed that along with no more IMAs (yeaaa!) the Insight has better acceleration from stops and it provides assist all the way up hills rather than it dying out half way up the hill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts