Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a number of complaints to my Honda dealer, mostly about forced charge while climbing hills, my IMA battery management system got really weird. The battery level indicator didn't accurately show the battery level. I would start up a hill one bar down. Half way up a short hill the car would go into force charge and then the level would drop 2 bars. It did some other strange things too. I can explain them if you are interested.

I went to the dealer and talked to my technician. He said he would check for fault codes on the computer and also look for software updates. This is how my work order read.

Ck IMA operation. Ck. for any fault codes in all syst. No codes. Ck for any updates. Have three. PGMI/CVVT/IMA, Perform all updates. Found car battery low. Charged and perform test. Shows battery is good. Road test W/customer. Veh seems to be operating properly.

What an amazing difference. Transmissions is very smooth, all the time, even when coming out of auto-stop when cold. IMA charge management is completely different. What it does makes sense. It has never gone into force-charge while climbing a hill. It will stop assisting but it won't charge until I ease off the gas. Force charge in other situations is very modest. Slightly charging while driving easy.

Mileage seems to be up also but I have only driven about 75 miles since the updates. An easy drive of 30 miles, county roads, hills, 30-45 MPH returned 63 real MPG, not off the IMA readout, (I use a scanguage also) A 25 mile run on the interstate at 60 MPH returned 52.5 MPG.

I didn't ask if these were new updates, sorry, but this is only the second time they have installed updates in my 2010 EX.

If they are new updates, have them installed. It made a huge difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Dave, thanks so much for your update. My 2010 EX does the same thing with the force charge during uphill and it has been annoyed the heck out of me. How is your car running now after a few weeks and what's the mileage on your car? I think I'm going to bring it in for an update like what you did.
Also, Since we got the same year, what tire did you get with the car? I got the dunlop and it wears out so fast that I'll have to replace it with 25K miles.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Never knew there were updates... I never had my car updated as far as i know.. unless they did it within the first 2 oil change (9k (08/03/2011) and 17k (03/28/2012) oil change)...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unfortunately, the technician at the honda dealer i went to could not find anything to update. I explained to him the issue and he said it's normal. I couldn't believe this is normal because going uphill is where the car needs "assist" the most! And with a full charge all of a sudden became a force charge? I don't think so.
We went back and forth but I was unsuccessful in persuading him about the issue. He even teased me about looking at "forums". From that, I just had it and done with the conversation. I think my next step is to video tape the occurrence, post it on youtube and ask for any suggestions. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I've visited 2 dealers in va, both knew of the updates and checked my vin to see if I was qualified for it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
21 Posts
So you got the update then i suppose? This one is in Pasadena, CA. I guess they are not as updated or they just didn't do the check! I'm so disappointed. I really want to like this car and Honda!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've visited 2 dealers in va, both knew of the updates and checked my vin to see if I was qualified for it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Did they tell you if you were qualified? I ususally take mine down to Pohanka Honda in Fredericksburg.

·
Registered
221 Posts
After a number of complaints to my Honda dealer, mostly about forced charge while climbing hills, my IMA battery management system got really weird. The battery level indicator didn't accurately show the battery level. I would start up a hill one bar down. Half way up a short hill the car would go into force charge and then the level would drop 2 bars. It did some other strange things too. I can explain them if you are interested.

I went to the dealer and talked to my technician. He said he would check for fault codes on the computer and also look for software updates. This is how my work order read.

Ck IMA operation. Ck. for any fault codes in all syst. No codes. Ck for any updates. Have three. PGMI/CVVT/IMA, Perform all updates. Found car battery low. Charged and perform test. Shows battery is good. Road test W/customer. Veh seems to be operating properly.

What an amazing difference. Transmissions is very smooth, all the time, even when coming out of auto-stop when cold. IMA charge management is completely different. What it does makes sense. It has never gone into force-charge while climbing a hill. It will stop assisting but it won't charge until I ease off the gas. Force charge in other situations is very modest. Slightly charging while driving easy.

Mileage seems to be up also but I have only driven about 75 miles since the updates. An easy drive of 30 miles, county roads, hills, 30-45 MPH returned 63 real MPG, not off the IMA readout, (I use a scanguage also) A 25 mile run on the interstate at 60 MPH returned 52.5 MPG.

I didn't ask if these were new updates, sorry, but this is only the second time they have installed updates in my 2010 EX.

If they are new updates, have them installed. It made a huge difference.
Based on your post we had the dealer search for software updates for our 2010 I2. The dealer in Southern Oregon found only 2: PGMI and CVT. They could not find an IMA update for our car. Perhaps this was done at an earlier service and we were never told. However, I doubt this as the software updates are not free from Honda. The dealer charged us $65 for the install for both updates, which I think is fair.

I wonder how we could check what version of the IMA software is installed? Is it possible that the IMA version installed by your dealer was in fact for a later model I2, and it just happened to work in the older model? It is strange that our dealer could not find the IMA update.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The replacement tires I bought were the Yokohama Avid Envigor. They were about the least expensive. They seem to be wearing well and there was no change in my MPG

As far as the software updates if received...the next time I visited my dealer in Nashua, NH I asked if the updates were new. He said that he really wasn't sure when the updates were released. He informed me that every time I bring my car in for any service their system checks to see if there are any updates due. So far, at 39K miles there has not been a charge for the updates.

It has been about 6 weeks since the software updates were installed. Since then I have not seen a forced charge when climbing a hill or accelerating. Mileage seems to be up but I haven't updated my spreadsheet yet but my scanguage has shown some 60+MPG runs. The whole IMA system is better. Less aggressive force charging which does occur during some light cruising. Yhe transmission has been much smoother. The car should have been like this from the beginning.

When they tell you, "They all do that" your reply should be, "Then they all need to be fixed. Start with this one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on your post we had the dealer search for software updates for our 2010 I2. The dealer in Southern Oregon found only 2: PGMI and CVT. They could not find an IMA update for our car. Perhaps this was done at an earlier service and we were never told. However, I doubt this as the software updates are not free from Honda. The dealer charged us $65 for the install for both updates, which I think is fair.

I wonder how we could check what version of the IMA software is installed? Is it possible that the IMA version installed by your dealer was in fact for a later model I2, and it just happened to work in the older model? It is strange that our dealer could not find the IMA update.

I really don't know if it might have been for a later model. From the way my dealer talked it seemed like their computer system searched for updates for my specific car.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
update codes?

Do the updates have any identification codes we could use when talking to our local dealers?

My 2010 has all the problems you say the update fixed, but my dealer claims there are no software updates available for my VIN.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do the updates have any identification codes we could use when talking to our local dealers?

My 2010 has all the problems you say the update fixed, but my dealer claims there are no software updates available for my VIN.
I'll give Peter's Honda in Nashua, NH a call Monday, 10-1-12 and see if I can get any info about the updates.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,904 Posts
When you take a vehicle into a dealer for service, they always include the vin number of the vehicle on the work order.
They can or can not search for any recalls or service updates for that vehicle. It's a liability thing.
To cover their butts in case something comes up later.
All service bulletins have a number and date on them. All recalls have the same.

At least that is the way it is supposed to be done.
(From experience)
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I imagine, after the whole Civic reprograms that saved battery packs but lowered MPG (for witch they got sued) may have them more tight lipped about software updates. I also see to remember reading (probably here) about some early builds not having upgrades available. I would not expect to pay for software upgrades on a vehicle if I was already paying them to service. Dealers vary. A lot. Don't be afraid to take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just checked my service invoice. It also said this:

1255A2 software update campaign: ECM/PCM - reprogram. . S/B# 11-043 S/B# 11-049 S/B# 11-050 S/B# 11-058 S/B# 05-037 S/B# 9243 C

I hope this might mean something to someone.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
thanks for checking

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Thanks, those are the service bulltins listed for the vehicle. I looked them up on automd.com Interesting that one was released for the insight in Sept regarding the changing of the board in the ima battery when its replaced.

11-043
11-049
11-050
11-058
05-037
9243 c

·
Registered
943 Posts
I took my car in to the local Honda dealer today to have some slight wind noise and suspension noise issues looked at under warranty. It's a 2010 UK Spec Insight ES.

Interestingly I checked for any updates on Honda's website (here: Recalls And Updates | Honda Owners | Cars | Honda (UK)). It said the car was up to date.

Along with the main problems I wanted to be investigated and sorted under warranty, I left a list of comments for discussion with them including uphill negative IMA battery gauge recalibration and occasional gentle lurching from the CVT when cold at low speed.

When picking the car up this evening the service manager discussed all work done with me. He mentioned that 3 software updates had been installed, relating to CVT behaviour, IMA battery management and fuel economy.

It's too early to tell whether there is any noticeable difference yet. The Honda dealership is only a few hundred yards from my home.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts