Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 5spd AC silver.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. First, let me say thank you for the help getting this car back on the road. It was a blast fixing it up a little and getting it back in action after sitting for a little over a year. I'm really proud to have saved this one from the junkyard.
I have gotten military transfer orders and the wife (rightfully so) say's we can't move four cars across the country. So while I was hoping to enjoy this car a little more before moving it on, the time is now.

I'm the third owner, the first owner was a doctor with a long highway commute and put 190K on the car. The second owner only had it for about a year and only put about 3k on the car. That individual bought it from the local Honda dealer and I'm pretty sure the doctor knew the second IMA batt was on the way out when they traded it in. The second owner didn't know or care to know about grid charging and pack maintenance, so it died from some neglect, but was about 10 years old. I've put just about 2k on it myself to get to the 195K it currently has. I'm driving it about 12 miles a day and taking it for longer weekend trips to keep the battery up, so the mileage will increase. Car comes with receipts for all the work I've done to it. The factory service manual and electrical troubleshooting manual, and a grid charger are also included.

Here's the details on the car. ~195,000 miles, 5 speed with A/C. 55MPG on the lifetime and I'm getting 54MPG on my traffic stop riddled, surface road, commute. The transmission shifts great both up and down, no signs of syncro or clutch wear here. Car assists and charges great with auto stop working as it should and ice cold air conditioning. The windshield has been replaced at some point and the A-pillars weren't put on quite right, but it requires a trained eye to see they aren't on top of the fenders in the door jamb, no wet seatbelts or leaks and it's been outside stored since I've owned it. Paint is in very good shape with no clear coat peeling or issues. There are a few paint chips and scratches consistent with the age of the car. The right hand exterior window seal has the peeling coating and the spoiler has some clear coat peeling, those are the only defects beyond small nicks and such. It's a very clean presenting car, with all the original panels, even the under car ones. Some of the under car panels are zip tied in place, but they are all there and don't rattle. The interior is an 8/10 very clean with the original radio which functions well and comes with a sweet 2000's vintage tape adapter. There is some wear on the driver side carpet and the steering wheel, doesn't warrant a steering wheel cover yet. Car has been in Michigan its whole life, but there are no signs of severe corrosion or rust on any of the steel parts or AL body panels. The brake lines and fuel lines were starting to get some rust. I applied rust converter and chassis saver epoxy paint to them. They will last a good while longer. I also wire brushed and painted the rear beam axle, which is also solid.

The good:
New BeeLine IMA battery with one year left on the warranty.
New 12V battery.
New front brakes.
New rear wheel bearings.
New clutch slave cylinder.
New A/C compressor.
New serpentine belt.
New rear hatch latch clutch. I can't believe it hadn't been done.
Rebuilt the engine compartment ground straps, cleaned and preserved all harness grounds
Full service including EGR plate clean out, new indexed spark plugs, trans fluid change, wiper blades, valve adjustment, and the first cabin air filter the car has ever had. No herky jerky here.

The Bad:
Has a clunk over off camber bumps in the front end (sway bar or control arm perhaps, I haven't looked, it's minor)
Exhaust at some point has been welded to the manifold and had the flex joint welded in as well, just started to get a small leak in the last week or so. I think it's at the Cat to mid pipe and should be weld-able. The tailpipe and muffler are in good shape. The exhaust is not perfect, but great for a salt belt car.
The wheels are showing some minor corrosion under the clear coat. They still are solid 10 footers, and don't detract from the car, just not perfect.
The tires are at about 50% tread life, but are matched RE92s.
Trip meter button seems broken.

IMG_8353.JPG
IMG_8548.JPG
IMG_9333.JPG IMG_9335.JPG IMG_9340.JPG IMG_9341.JPG IMG_8454.JPG IMG_9347.JPG IMG_9348.JPG IMG_9353.JPG

Imgur album with more pictures including the underside of the car.
Thanks for looking, I'm open to offers and would love to drive this to you if I can do it in a weekend from the Detroit area and be back for work on monday. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in this car and go cross country.

·
Registered
2000 5spd AC silver.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello,

I'm asking $3500 for my 195k mile 2000 silver gen1 with a bunch of catch up maintenance to include a new IMA pack. It's a pretty clean car that was well cared for early in its life and runs good.
No transmission issues, car shifts great up and down, assists and charges very well. Car overall is an 7-8/10 and very clean for the year. See the imgur album for pictures and the other thread for an in depth walk through.

Here is the full thread over in the Gen1 discussion. ForSale 2000 MT/5spd with A/C $3500

Here is the imgur photo dump.
I'm open to offers and willing to drive this a weekends trip from the Detroit area to drop it off.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2000 5spd AC silver.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump 2,

Just put a transmission mount in it. Even smoother shifting now.

·
Registered
2000 5spd AC silver.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump, just put it on CraigsList. Still willing to drive this to you and I'd rather see it go to an enthusiast from here than a random.
I put a transmission mount on it this past weekend. Much smoother now going from assist to regen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello folks. First, let me say thank you for the help getting this car back on the road. It was a blast fixing it up a little and getting it back in action after sitting for a little over a year. I'm really proud to have saved this one from the junkyard.
I have gotten military transfer orders and the wife (rightfully so) say's we can't move four cars across the country. So while I was hoping to enjoy this car a little more before moving it on, the time is now.

I'm the third owner, the first owner was a doctor with a long highway commute and put 190K on the car. The second owner only had it for about a year and only put about 3k on the car. That individual bought it from the local Honda dealer and I'm pretty sure the doctor knew the second IMA batt was on the way out when they traded it in. The second owner didn't know or care to know about grid charging and pack maintenance, so it died from some neglect, but was about 10 years old. I've put just about 2k on it myself to get to the 195K it currently has. I'm driving it about 12 miles a day and taking it for longer weekend trips to keep the battery up, so the mileage will increase. Car comes with receipts for all the work I've done to it. The factory service manual and electrical troubleshooting manual, and a grid charger are also included.

Here's the details on the car. ~195,000 miles, 5 speed with A/C. 55MPG on the lifetime and I'm getting 54MPG on my traffic stop riddled, surface road, commute. The transmission shifts great both up and down, no signs of syncro or clutch wear here. Car assists and charges great with auto stop working as it should and ice cold air conditioning. The windshield has been replaced at some point and the A-pillars weren't put on quite right, but it requires a trained eye to see they aren't on top of the fenders in the door jamb, no wet seatbelts or leaks and it's been outside stored since I've owned it. Paint is in very good shape with no clear coat peeling or issues. There are a few paint chips and scratches consistent with the age of the car. The right hand exterior window seal has the peeling coating and the spoiler has some clear coat peeling, those are the only defects beyond small nicks and such. It's a very clean presenting car, with all the original panels, even the under car ones. Some of the under car panels are zip tied in place, but they are all there and don't rattle. The interior is an 8/10 very clean with the original radio which functions well and comes with a sweet 2000's vintage tape adapter. There is some wear on the driver side carpet and the steering wheel, doesn't warrant a steering wheel cover yet. Car has been in Michigan its whole life, but there are no signs of severe corrosion or rust on any of the steel parts or AL body panels. The brake lines and fuel lines were starting to get some rust. I applied rust converter and chassis saver epoxy paint to them. They will last a good while longer. I also wire brushed and painted the rear beam axle, which is also solid.

The good:
New BeeLine IMA battery with one year left on the warranty.
New 12V battery.
New front brakes.
New rear wheel bearings.
New clutch slave cylinder.
New A/C compressor.
New serpentine belt.
New rear hatch latch clutch. I can't believe it hadn't been done.
Rebuilt the engine compartment ground straps, cleaned and preserved all harness grounds
Full service including EGR plate clean out, new indexed spark plugs, trans fluid change, wiper blades, valve adjustment, and the first cabin air filter the car has ever had. No herky jerky here.

The Bad:
Has a clunk over off camber bumps in the front end (sway bar or control arm perhaps, I haven't looked, it's minor)
Exhaust at some point has been welded to the manifold and had the flex joint welded in as well, just started to get a small leak in the last week or so. I think it's at the Cat to mid pipe and should be weld-able. The tailpipe and muffler are in good shape. The exhaust is not perfect, but great for a salt belt car.
The wheels are showing some minor corrosion under the clear coat. They still are solid 10 footers, and don't detract from the car, just not perfect.
The tires are at about 50% tread life, but are matched RE92s.
Trip meter button seems broken.

View attachment 89545
View attachment 89547
View attachment 89548 View attachment 89549 View attachment 89550 View attachment 89551 View attachment 89552 View attachment 89554 View attachment 89555 View attachment 89556

Imgur album with more pictures including the underside of the car.
Thanks for looking, I'm open to offers and would love to drive this to you if I can do it in a weekend from the Detroit area and be back for work on monday. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in this car and go cross country.
My friend sent me a link to your post, your car looks nice, I've read your description and I would like to offer you $2000 for your Insight.

Thank you,
Todd

Cell # 262-470-8731

·
Registered
2000 5spd AC silver.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend sent me a link to your post, your car looks nice, I've read your description and I would like to offer you $2000 for your Insight.

Thank you,
Todd

Cell # 262-470-8731
Thanks for looking, welcome to the site. Please take a moment to read the rules on here regarding haggling on price in the public sections. I've sent you a PM. Are you local to me in MI? I'm sure Willie will be in here shortly to remind you to fill in your user profile.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Mounts make a big difference. My insight would bang when I shifted to second when the trans mount was shot if I power shifted. My passenger mount on my matrix caused grinding on downshifts but it was metal on metal

·
Registered
2002 Silver Insight MT
5 Posts
very interested in this car as my 2002 silver MT just got hit pretty bad in a parking lot, and will likely be a total loss by my insurance company. not going to wait and find out though, I'm buying another one ASAP. sending you a PM

·
Registered
2002 Silver Insight MT
5 Posts
PM'd you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.