Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parting out a 2000 Insight. All parts available right now. Engine runs and can be demonstrated. You can pick up parts near the Akron Canton airport in Ohio for free or I can send for a small added cost. All parts are stock. There were no modifications on this car. Honda did replace the batteries under warranty several years ago. Contact me for more info or for more pictures. Vehicle has 142,000 miles on it. Contact me right away when you see this as I plan on keeping the vehicle only a few more weeks before taking the remainder to the recycler. Thanks for looking!

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
Why would you part out this car? It should be saved!

Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you are right. I did try but it is going to cost too much. I’ve already spent just over $300 to see if it is worth it. The vehicle has belonged to a friend of mine since kindergarten (the friend, not the vehicle). He always had his maintenance done at the dealer. In 2014, I think it was, the bearing started to go bad in the transmission as he was quoted $1400 for the repair. He decided to park the car and leased a Civic. A couple months ago, he asked me if I’d take the car because he wanted the garage space back. So I put the car on my lift in hopes of fixing the car. I determined that I could fix the bearing and would taking on probably replacing the battery sticks.

Once I got the vehicle on the lift, I noticed that all the bolt heads looked rusty, the brake rotors heavily rusted, and the brake lines likely need replaced, at least the sections above the gas tank. While pumping out the old gas, I ended up with as much gas in my catch can as I did on the ground. That’s when I noticed the very rust joints in the gas supply and vent lines (including the two on the back side of the engine bay). Did an oil chance with filter, new plugs and a splash of Marvel Mystery Oil. Had to get a new starter as well. I did get the engine running just fine, but then I also discovered leaks in the catalytic converters, the clutch doesn’t work, the AC doesn’t work. Don’t forget I haven’t fully looked at the brakes yet, but I know there are costs there too. Plus I need a 12V battery and the hybrid battery. My estimate is that if all goes well (which it hasn’t yet), I’m looking at around $3500-4000. I was hoping to get away with a working vehicle for $1000 (less the hybrid battery). With kids in college, I cannot afford to splurge on what I agree would be a fun project. If anyone wants to take over let me know. The vehicle is still fully intact. Let me know.
The worst discovery on the vehicle was that the gas filler tube is on the wrong side! Lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
All I can say is: Honda parts are cheap, and you have a lift. Seems like a no-brainer.

You don't need the hybrid battery. Just get a new 12V battery up front and make sure all the factory grounds are tip-top, and maybe add a couple more. This car is sensitive to grounding issues. Replacing brake and fuel lines isn't hard and it's fairly cheap. Plus you have a lift. There's brake rotors right now on rockauto for under 2 bucks each.

This car can be put back to working for under a grand I'm sure. At least to daily beater status. Once it's running and safe you can do projects one at a time as you can afford them. It's really a super simple car and cheap to maintain.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,022 Posts
I sympathize with Spoon. My first Insight was a silver 2001 5MT from Ontario, which is where I lived at the time. I got it in October 2015. Everything was rusted. All brake lines had to be replaced. Part of the gas line also had to be replaced. The upper catalytic converter had to have a new flange welded to it where it attaches to the exhaust pipe. It needed new brakes as well. I also had to remove the seats and rivet new aluminum panels to the floor with holes drilled in them for the seat mounting bolts because galvanic corrosion had worn holes in the floor.

That was all before it could even be put on the road. Cars in Ontario just don't tend to last beyond 15 years -- even the all-aluminum Insight is susceptible to rust.

My advice would be to try to find a buyer on here who has the time to do the work and who wants to keep it on the road. This car isn't beyond repair, but it is definitely more than most people would want to handle.

Personally I'd not want to take it on because, financially and time-wise, it's got too much to be fixed. But this is me in 2019. Back in 2015 when I needed an Insight the car I got was exactly like this and it was the right car for me at the time. Spoon just sounds like he isn't in the right place for this to be the right car for him and no one can fault him for that.

·
Super Moderator
8,902 Posts
Hopefully someone will pick it up. But Natalya is right, it is a ton of work. If someone picks it up, I have A/C parts at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your support on what to do with my insight. After a bit more review and consideration, I think I’ll move forward with the repairs. I can kick the AC and battery repairs down the road a bit. Also, what I thought was a bad cat looks like just a bad gasket. Jime, I’ll get back with you if/when I get to the AC portion.

Thanks
Spoon

·
Super Moderator
8,902 Posts
Just let me know when you are ready. Ya know, I could also send you a few cosmetic parts. You will feel better when it looks better. I have some of those wheel caps, and I think I have an engine cover. They're yours for the packing and shipping.

You have your head on straight. Just prioritize the stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve been back and forth on this several times. I didn’t want to give up. I didn’t want to admit defeat. I’m sure I could get this working again, but every task is fighting back at me and taking longer and costing more than I’d like. I do appreciate the help from previous threads and from those that responded here and on other threads to help and encourage. I hope this forum can help others with their Insights.

As for this Insight, it is time for it to move on to someone else either (mostly) whole or in parts. Let me know how this Insight can help you in your garage.

thanks
Spoon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some items available:

Set of spark plugs with 7 minutes of idle on them $5 + shipping.

New starter with two engine starts on it. $65 + shipping.

Four rims with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires with plenty of tread left (0.23”).

thanks
Spoon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not OEM, Autolite Double Platinum Plug, paid $17.58.
OEM Al Rim with good tire, $35 + shipping. I’m in 44685.
Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts