Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello InsightCentral community! Thanks to the wealth of knowledge on this forum, I fell in love with the G1 Insight. Friends, family, and the wife all rolled their eyes at me when I brought this gem home in February 2020. That ridicule quickly turned into envy when I showed them the magic this little car can do. This 20+ year old beast can get 55-75mpg, destroying all their new generations of Prius's and Civic hybrids! The plan was to turn this car into a hypermiling daily driver, but I've been cursed with terrible timing. COVID struck shortly after I purchased the car and just last month, my entire house flooded due to a pipe bursting while I was at work during the winter storm. I hate letting this car go, but need the funds to fix my home. I rather have it go to a fellow Insight enthusiast so they can fully love and appreciate the car like I had in my brief year of ownership.

Previous owner took amazing care of this car and purchased a ton of extra parts for it. Car runs and drives very smoothly. Everything works, A/C, heat, radio, mirrors, windows, Trip button, hatch button. Very complete car. IMA battery will probably need to be replaced or you can just do the IMA bypass and still get amazing gas mileage, which was what I wanted to do. Car comes with grid charger installed, extra hood, aluminum underpanels, set of replacement clips to fix wet seatbelt issue, owner's manual, repair manual, extra set of Insight driver/passenger mats. I have all the paperwork and documentation with the car as well as a clean, blue Texas title under my name. This is my first time posting so please don't hesitate to ask me any questions if I left something out.
  • Asking Price: $2100 (negotiable, but priced low to sell quickly)
  • Year: 2000
  • Color: Silver
  • Transmission: 5sp MT
  • Current Mileage: 149,600 (~4900 miles driven by me)
  • High Voltage Battery Age/Condition: IMA battery holds its charge for a few hundred miles after grid charging but light will come on
  • Transmission Condition: Gears all shift pretty smooth, clutch feels good
  • Engine or IMA Codes Showing: IMA battery light comes on every few hundred miles. Will come with grid charger previous owner installed. I usually grid charge the car every few weeks.
  • Interior Condition Summary: Complete interior, very clean, previous owner took very good care of the car
  • Exterior Condition Summary: Small dents and dings, bumper has small crack, not too bad considering 20+ years old
  • Contact: DM on here or text me at 979-282-five (eiight) four zero.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sold!! Glad this little gem is staying in the InsightCentral family! Kinda sad to see it go, but I know it's in great hands!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
How did the trip go? First impressions etc?

·
Registered
49 Posts
So, my point of comparison for observations is a 2002 5sp with 270k miles on the clock, an engine of unknown mileage, and VERY worn out.

This car's suspension is much tighter, although it still bangs pretty loudly on potholes my 07 Accord would shake off. BUT, the wheels stay firmly planted on the ground at least. I'll probably still upgrade to Scott's springs at some point if he's still selling them. The engine ticks over quieter, and doesnt herky-jerk at light loads except when it's on the very cusp of kicking OUT of lean burn, and even then not very badly. Transmission is great, no grinding on downshifts, w00h00! IMA battery is toast, code indicates sticks out of balance. I'll try to massage some life out of it while i'm waiting on stuff for the LTO conversion, I may drop the pack into my other backup Insight. For the drive, I pulled the IMA under-dash fuse and flipped the breaker. Interestingly, this results in leanburn still working, unlike on my other car where I killed the breaker and unplugged the BCM to disable IMA. Engine seems a little more powerful than my other Insight, I never really had to downshift on the interstate for any hills unless traffic slowed to a crawl. Got 66mpg for the trip segment according to the dash display, with a slight headwind and speeds from 60-65mph and chasing the occasional big rig @ 100ft or so.

My mod wish list for the car:

72s LTO upgrade, current hack, etc (got the cells!)
IMAC&C
Stiffer springs/shocks
aero underbody panels
mirror delete?
tail maybe? :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahaha, like I said....this car is in very good hands! Daleag is an Insight mastermind! Glad it's going to such a good home! I can't wait to see everything you do to it! Lithiummmmmm :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just filled up the tank, can confirm dash gauge was dead on the mpg :D

I wouldnt say I'm an Insight mastermind, I'm just mechanically and electrically inclined and read this forum a lot :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts