Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My expensive Antex temperature controlled soldering iron has died mid project (Again!) so I need something else. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just about any decent hakko is great for hobby use. I have an old hakko 932 dual station for home use, It's probably 20+ years old, but works great. The stations themselves rarely fail. Just get some new tips and a new handpiece if you buy used.

I did PCB repairs for a few years and have an EET degree that I no longer use:rolleyes: I've used a few high end xytronic and a few other brands with auto temp/sleep/etc features, the extra cost of the unit and tip availability/price are not worth if for hobby use.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I finally ended up buying an Aoyue station.

The quality is very good and 2 years of solid service, no problems.

Got one with a nice digital iron (heats up in 15-20s), smoke sucker, and hot air pen. Came with a million tips for the iron and hot air pen.

And the price is just excellent.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you can justify the spend I've found Metcal to be the nicest to use and most reliable, nothing fancy, just VERY effective. The original designer has moved and set up a new company making a supposedly better evolution of the design for less money that the Metcal. I'd have a search for that. Weller are always nice and reliable crappy plastic connectors though from iron to base. that is the one thing I think lets them down. if in doubt an old weller TCP will probably go on for ever (tips are not that robust but are cheap), and if you need mobile the iron will run off a 5-6s LiPo pack. The TCP have the temperature control in the magnetic tip so if you change temp a lot then they can be a pain. the Metcals likewise are controlled by the native temperature of the tip, but they are easy to swap out on the go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts