Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey y'all. Was driving to work and EPS light came on. Car instantly was stick in 1st "gear" and EPS light came on, along with several CEL codes. System voltage no longer charging as well, and no electric power steering. The D light on the shifter doesn't light up, but all others do.

The codes are as follows:

P0560 - This has been an intermittent issue since I've had the car. I assume it's a wire with a poor contact somewhere as it'll only come on when I hit a bump and will go away very soon after.

These are the codes that have just come up that were not present before;

P0141
P1166
P1298
P1655

Right now the car is basically undrivable above 20-30 without redlining it the whole time.

Any ideas? I figure it's some electrical issue some where and it's in limp mode.

Thank you ahead of time for any help!

·
Administrator
11,580 Posts
12v battery dead/dying.
Bad earths in engine bay.

Common issues that lead to the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12v battery dead/dying.

Would they also cause the O2 sensor codes? The 12V is less than a year old and I cleaned all the grounds up when I got the car as that's a common issue. I'll get the battery tested and see if it's the problem but I have my doubts considering its age (or lack thereof).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
12v battery dead/dying.

Inspected all the grounds. One of the transmission grounds was frayed pretty heavily so I've replaced it. The problem persists, however.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
12v battery dead/dying.

Found a blown TCM fuse. Replaced it and now the car seems back to normal for now. Would really like to track down whatever short or whathaveyou that caused the fuse to blow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
12v battery dead/dying.

I'm going to call it solved and assume the ground strap was the cause of the TCM because I cannot find any issues with any other transmission wires.

Thank you for the quick and correct suggestion!

·
Super Moderator
5,073 Posts
Thanks for letting us know thw outcome.

Sam

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,568 Posts
Which fuse (# and location) and what it controls would be helpful when closing the thread..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which fuse (# and location) and what it controls would be helpful when closing the thread..
You're totally right, my bad!

The TCM(Transmission Control Module) fuse is fuse #4 in the interior fusebox on the left side of the driver's footwell. It is a 7.5 Amp fuse. A spare 7.5 Amp fuse and fuse removal/installation tool can be found in the fuse box in the engine bay on the driver's side.

The ground strap that caused the blown fuse is the thicker of the two coming off the transmission. It goes from underneath the airbox to underneath the coolant reservoir. You'll have to remove both to gain clear access to it (10mm bolts, several vacuum lines, and one electrical connector to remove the airbox, the reservoir can simply be pulled up with ample force). Be sure to remove the strap itself from the loom to thoroughly inspect its condition.

I highly recommend any new Insight owner thoroughly inspect all ground straps as they are quite thin and can easily corrode apart after 14+ years. I did so but didn't remove the loom on the transmission ground strap, which was the one that eventually blew the fuse.

I think that covers it. If I've left anything out, be sure to let me know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts