·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tires

No motocross LOL Just quiet and good driving. I drive 1:15 each way to work every day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did run 185/60/14 on the front of my Insight on stock wheels with no rubbing.

However, i did think they were too tall and did not look right.

If you are looking for something closer to the stock diameter, Federal sells a 595 in 185/55/14. It is not as aggressive/sticky as the dunlop you linked, but it's also much cheaper. If you are not concerned with ultimate grip i would not buy those ZIIs as they will wear fairly quickly compared to a less aggressive tire.

Where can i see more pictures of your black insight?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Black Insight

Unfortunately, a deer, a semi and a hill took that one out in WV a couple years ago. It had 23k on it when I bought it. I used to do onsite computer repair. I have a silver 2000 now, and I drive 57 miles each way to work so they're slowly climbing again.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I run 185/60/14 Conti Eco Contact 5s and there are no problems.

Those are nice boots but I suspect they may hurt your economy a bit!

·
Registered
43 Posts
dfiore, i had searched your past posts and saw about the wreck. Sorry about the loss of your car (ancient history now!) but i am STILL interested to see pics of it with the black paint and wheel. I will repaint mine at some point and your avatar caught my eye. If you still have any, that would be great. If not, no big deal!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pictures

Used to have them online back when Geocities was a thing, but my account was recycled. give me your email and I'll shoot you a few pics

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Federal sells a 595 in 185/55/14

Federal sells a 595 in 185/55/14. It is not as aggressive/sticky as the dunlop you linked, but it's also much cheaper. If you are not concerned with ultimate grip i would not buy those ZIIs as they will wear fairly quickly compared to a less aggressive tire.
Do you have a link of a reliable source where I can view and purchase these?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm running Dunlop LM4 185/65 14 front and back on CE28N rims14x5 1/2J +45. No rubbing, They're the latest "performance" eco tyre so I get relatively good gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,372 Posts
Please specify "relatively good gas mileage."

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've heard I can put 185/60R14 on my 2000 stock rims with no issues. Before I buy from tire rack the ones in the link below, someone please confirm foe me this will fit with no rubbing and with the wheel skirts on. Thank you
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=86HR4Z2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Sweet tires. If the diameter is increased, your speedometer and odometer will be off, please check with a GPS :)

The weight and rolling resistance (grip) will have a negative effect on your mileage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Urban driving with lots of stoplights spaced around 150 to 200 meters apart 16.5 ~ 18.5 kpl; intercity driving of at least 30 km one way 24 ~ 31 kpl; highway driving usually playing catchup with the clock 21 ~ 28 kpl averaging 110 ~ 120 kph in dense traffic typical of Japanese expressways but have seen as high as 35 kpl.

1999 insight 5 speed upgraded with the stock underbody panels and airtabs on the roof.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On their way!

My Federals should be here in a week!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good but LOUD

I did run 185/60/14 on the front of my Insight on stock wheels with no rubbing.

However, i did think they were too tall and did not look right.

If you are looking for something closer to the stock diameter, Federal sells a 595 in 185/55/14. It is not as aggressive/sticky as the dunlop you linked, but it's also much cheaper. If you are not concerned with ultimate grip i would not buy those ZIIs as they will wear fairly quickly compared to a less aggressive tire.

Where can i see more pictures of your black insight?
So I bought the Federals and had them put on an hour ago. Great handling, but they howl like the wind whipping!! Hopefully I can get used to that.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you want some quieter tires that grip and are fairly cheap, look at Falken Ziex ZE-512 in 185/60/R14.

I've had these tires on my BMW bottlecap wheels on my Insight and they are quiet and the ride quality is great. I'be put about 5k mile on them so far and I love them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts