1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
Great looking aerodynamics. Would be nice to know what the CdA is.

BTW, what happened to the Elio?

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
The 3 wheel configuration permits nice taper. The lack of a dirty ICE cooling system will help immensely.

Provided they don't muck anything up, the Cd should be comparable to the EV1 at 0.18.

Concerning Elio, their first delivery date was in 2012 with 0 production cars made to date. Latest update is a 2019 production date. IMHO, at this point it's little more than a scam.

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
Frankly the taper looks too sharp to me. It might not have attached flow to the tail.
Hard to say. I thought it looked ok, but you could be right. The sides look particularly good. The top might need a couple more inches of height at back, but the wind tunnel is the true arbiter.

I would assume that they have done some wind tunnel work already. CdA is particularly important for an EV because of its influence on range.

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
I can't wait to see these in Rush Hour traffic in Los Angeles.LOL

·
Registered
255 Posts
The trouble with a light, 3 wheel vehicle is that it’s likely to be a death trap in the snow. The G1 is bad enough. Imagine that thing in 4 inches of slush. Nope. No thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The trouble with a light, 3 wheel vehicle is that it’s likely to be a death trap in the snow. The G1 is bad enough. Imagine that thing in 4 inches of slush. Nope. No thanks!
But how often do you encounter those conditions, maybe 20 or 30 days out of 250+ commutes to work, each year? I don't drive my Insight when the road conditions get dicey, either; I drive my Geo Metro, which is quite adept in snow, and I won't cry, as much, over it, if it gets wrecked.

If I had one of those 3-wheeled vehicles, I'd would relegate it to fair weather condition commuting, and drive my Metro on all those other days.

·
Registered
839 Posts
2 1/2 years ago I heard about Geo Metro Sondor Elio and some two wheel motorcycle like cars . Then I heard about insight .could not be happier!

·
Registered
255 Posts
But how often do you encounter those conditions, maybe 20 or 30 days out of 250+ commutes to work, each year? I don't drive my Insight when the road conditions get dicey, either; I drive my Geo Metro, which is quite adept in snow, and I won't cry, as much, over it, if it gets wrecked.

If I had one of those 3-wheeled vehicles, I'd would relegate it to fair weather condition commuting, and drive my Metro on all those other days.
If I owned one, it would have to be my car since I have no desire to have more than one (tried that some time ago and hated it). Plus, the weather here is extremely variable in both time and space. It can go from clear to several inches of snow in a couple hours, or no snow to a couple feet in 30 miles.

3-wheelers are cool, but not for everyone, I suppose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts