1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drafted a semi going 75-80 for about 15 miles
reset trip MPG

when i pulled off the freeway: MPG=62.3

any other car on the road get 62.3MPG at 80MPH?????

dint think so... :shock:

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Trunkout; If you had your stock tires back on and well inflated, you can get 62 mpg WITHOUT any drafting at the speeds you describe.......

·
Registered
804 Posts
I did 73.5mpg at 70-75mph over 475 miles this summer.

Was about 5 feet behind the 18-wheeler

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's cool

Billy said:
Hi Trunkout; If you had your stock tires back on and well inflated, you can get 62 mph WITHOUT any drafting at the speeds you describe.......
stock tires?????
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
NEVER goin back....I like my insight handling like a go cart.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: that's cool

trunkout said:
Billy said:
Hi Trunkout; If you had your stock tires back on and well inflated, you can get 62 mph WITHOUT any drafting at the speeds you describe.......
stock tires?????
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
NEVER goin back....I like my insight handling like a go cart.....
I don't understand people like you. Us Insight owners pay extra money for a car that gets ridiculous gas mileage, so why would you modify it to defeat that? It's not a sports car.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Before this thread gets overly passionate in regard to our personal preferences I'd like to remind readers of this thread about keeping their posts civil.

As in all things automotive, especially MPG there are trade-off's. Read the recent hyper-MPG thread on the MPG marathon in an Insight :?: 180+ MPG :!: At an average speed of 20 MPH :shock: ;)

The Insight has a _much_ smoother "feel" with higher rolling resistance tires. But, personally I prefer to buy the tires that effectively pay for themselves in increased MPG.

And then there's the never ending debate of chocolate vs. vanilla... :roll: ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's all good

man I ain't mad at no one....I just think the NON stock tires that I have increase the ride stability and cornering capabilities...I'm willing to drop a few MPG for that.

PEACE

·
Registered
89 Posts
NoPetrol, not everybody in the U.S. that has purchased an Insight has done so just because of gas mileage, as you seem to infer. Thus it's only logical that changes would be made by such an owner who didn't buy on that basis, that do negatively affect the mpg. I think that's a bad assumption that you made, since you perhaps seem to believe that others purchased for the exact same reasons that you did. Just by reading messages on this forum, it's quite evident that many owners purchased for other reasons, including liking: how the car looks; a light, nimble handling feel, with potential for excellent handling from the stiff, lightweight chassis; a body that won't rust out over the long-term; ability to drive in HOV lane in some states; uniqeness of owning a very-low production vehicle. There are surely more reasons than just these.

Moreover, there are huge benefits that one can experience from utilizing a high performance tire instead of the OEM. Aside from the fun and comfort factors that have already been mentioned, there's also the big safety factor. The maneuverability and braking can be improved significantly with high performance tires, and this can end up saving your life some day, for all you know.

One former Insight owner (the late Dr. Marc Webb) wrote a post a few years ago on one of the Insight forums (before he sadly passed away in a non-Insight-related death on the road) where he stated that he believed that his upgrade to the Dunlop SP8000 195/55/ZR14 tires ended up saving his car and perhaps even his life in helping him make an emergency maneuver one day. He stated that he was so sure that the OEM tires would not have been able to get the job done in that situation.

So, let's not forget the value of life in the event that the tires upgrade can end up making such a difference. It's certainly better that his car continued to get less mpg than with the OEM tires on, versus having a destroyed Insight that would get 0 mpg thereafter. Moreover, there's an environmental impact in the event of a destroyed Insight, especially if there's gasoline and coolant spilled all over the place.

Thus, don't underestimate the importance of upgrading to high performance tires, given what they can accomplish for accident avoidance.
And there's nothing wrong with enjoying much more of a go-kart feel, irregardless of whatever the NoPetrol definition is of what one should be allowed to feel regarding their cars handling, in the event that the manufacturer doesn't market the car as a sports car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi...I'm new here!

I just picked up a 2001CVT Insight with 30K on the clock. After only two
weeeks I can now say I love this car. I also see this little car as a sports car. I took the car up to Angeles crest hightway today with the wife and the dog and what a blast. The little Insight handles the tight curves in the road like it was designed for just that. I had a little fun with a Mercedes SLK while driving up the road...he was trying to keep up but....the little Insight banged through the corners like an F-1 car. The wife was OK with the driving but the dog on the other hand lost it's breakfast. What a ball this car is. It's such a sleeper for canyon carving. I'm still on the factory tires but I'm looking to trade up here shortly. How are the Bridgestones?
What's the cost in mileage?

J-P

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum J-P.

Many here are hypermilers but there are at least 4 members that regularly race their Insights, and at least 3 others that have added turbochargers. 8)

With the Insight you can have the worlds best mileage or a sporty drive, just not both at the same time. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow!

din't think I'd see people agreeing with me....

but yeah i like the ability to AVOID accidents like no other!

...and i come from a fully race ready 98 civic hatchback....so what i have in my tires is a happy medium!

to each his own....

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I lose about 10 mpg on average with the Yokohamas at 44 PSI or so vs. the OEMs at 50 psi.

I find that pumping up the Yokos makes very little difference once you are up over 40 psi.

In the winter when it is rainy and wet in the mountains, it is nice to have the Yokos (of course they are better on the dry as well).

I just swap them according to my mood. Nice having Jane as a backup for Edwin.

If I had to only have one set and never change, however, I think I would stick with the OEMs at 50 psi and take the extra care on tricky mountain roads (or emergency stops). Of course in an emergency, you would rather have sticky tires or really you would rather be at home instead of in your car as it is about to wreck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts