Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm f'ing tired of the excessive road noise that plagues my Insight. My girlfriend and I couldn't comfortably carry a conversation on a recent road trip. Oregon roads seem to be extra noisy.

The Samples
Measured with Sound Meter Pro, calibrated for Galaxy SII
Parked, engine off - 40db min
40mph city road - 77db mean, 86 peak
60mph highway - 85db mean, 90 peak

85db is louder then an alarm clock. I drove this car across the country, most of it at that sound level. 3000 miles.

The Plan
Peel & Seal roof flashing on the floor and bottom of the spare tire well. The price per sq/ft and many positive reviews on youtube are real selling points, and even if the car gets so hot the asphalt melts, it wont be able to migrate anywhere. Sealing it up with aluminum tape.

Dynamat Xtreme on the door panels, firewall, and the sides of the spare tire well. It's probably more effective, more tolerant of temperature, won't fall off, and got it for half price.

Poly Fill in various cavities.

Great Stuff expanding foam for injecting into the wheel wells. It's the Windows and Doors variety, so it should provide rigidity for the outer panel, and remain pliable so it can absorb vibrations.

The Questions
Has anyone tried mass loading and/or dampening the hood of their insights? Would it help, and be worth the cost?

Any other thoughts or concerns about the plan?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Did you ever see the threads on the sound deadening project? Here are the 4 phases that he show cased:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/19622-sound-proofing-project-stage-1-trunk-space.html
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/14341-sound-proofing-project-phase-2-doors.html
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/14348-sound-proofing-project-phase-3-front-wheel-wells.html
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/14356-sound-proofing-project-phase-4-firewall-floor-rear-speakers.html

Edit: Looks like the pictures don't show up anymore? I always make word documents from this forum for how to do things and capture the photos so I always have them. The pictures tell the story, if you want to see them send me a message with your email address and I'll send you the word docs with pictures.

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
FB
If you want noise, run at that db with just the drivers window down and take a measurement.
Highway texture and high tire pressure also raises the db.

I have no problem with the db, I wear ear plugs and my GF is a blow up doll with clothes on so I can drive in the HOV lane.

HTH
Willie

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I recall a previous post about someone insulating for sound, but the additional weight hurt his mpg enough that he removed it.

Willie, I've seen the blow up doll on the HOV in Norfolk, VA. :p (woman with 'guy' doll)

btw: I thought the sulev and ulev sticker on our cars allowed hov use in CA with only the driver. ??

..Bob

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have no problem with the db, I wear ear plugs and my GF is a blow up doll with clothes on so I can drive in the HOV lane.
sounds like a more useful GF than I ever had.:)

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Worth going back and looking at some older posts. Many have done extensive sound damping projects, including myself, and been disappointed with the results. I think from reading more recent posts many of the products fail to damp the frequency for the road noise/tire. I did extensive work with both sound damping and insulating products and am still wondering what to do about road noise.

My most recent effort which I am still testing is to add a bulkhead between the front and rear hatch. I trialed this idea thinking that most of the road noise was coming from the rear wheels. I made a cardboard cutout and ran Second skin luxury liner up the bulkhead from the cabin side. That made a continuous barrier of luxury liner from the front foot well, floor and up the rear bulkhead to the roof. I think it made a significant reduction. But then of course now the noise feels like it has shifted to the front of the car.

Bottom line... not super impressed with any results despite many hours of messing around with this project. I could happily drive one of these cars forever but for the road noise. I plan to try Michelin Energy Savers. Reported to be much quieter than the Bridgestone. Currently out of stock in the USA.

The simple idea that works very well. Sound cancelling headphones. Every time I throw those on, I think that would have been the cheapest and easiest approach. Problem for me is that the sound quality doesn't match a good stereo and that is my other need for a daily driver. I have been tracking progress of aftermarket whole car noise cancellation. I think it is coming but not yet ready for prime time. That would be the ultimate solution. Dial out the road noise frequency.

I'm f'ing tired of the excessive road noise that plagues my Insight. My girlfriend and I couldn't comfortably carry a conversation on a recent road trip. Oregon roads seem to be extra noisy.

The Samples

85db is louder then an alarm clock. I drove this car across the country, most of it at that sound level. 3000 miles.

The Plan
Peel & Seal roof flashing on the floor and bottom of the spare tire well. The price per sq/ft and many positive reviews on youtube are real selling points, and even if the car gets so hot the asphalt melts, it wont be able to migrate anywhere. Sealing it up with aluminum tape.

Dynamat Xtreme on the door panels, firewall, and the sides of the spare tire well. It's probably more effective, more tolerant of temperature, won't fall off, and got it for half price.

Great Stuff expanding foam for injecting into the wheel wells. It's the Windows and Doors variety, so it should provide rigidity for the outer panel, and remain pliable so it can absorb vibrations.

The Questions
Has anyone tried mass loading and/or dampening the hood of their insights? Would it help, and be worth the cost?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
We need these guys to get going and start trialing a system...

HALOsonic - Noise Management Solutions

The Samples

The Plan

The Questions

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Stock RE92 Bridgestone. My car from Japan came on some Firestone tires which are way quieter. I haven't driven them enough to know if they are OK for fuel mileage. I did one run in that car for 25 miles and got 89 mpg whereas my daily driver gets pretty consistent 75 mpg on that same run. So, they can't be terrible.

Fb - what tires do you have? If they are not the stock ones maybe it's the tires being very noisy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I started my own souprooffing project this past weekend. 1st I took some noise readings at 55mpg country road. 75 to 81 db average 76. Frequency was pretty constant at all speeds. My tires are R92's with maybe 1.5k on them. After taking the reading I removed all trim ,carpet,spare tire, storage box in hatch area and behind front seat (that vertical panel). I took it for another ride 80 db, put the spare tire back in with storage box, laid down a movers blanket from back hatch door to behind seats. Wow 70 db noticed it before I took the readings. I will be installing cld panels in hatch area. Then attack doors with cld tiles and a ccf/mlv/ccf blanket.

Thoughts

Sound proofing materials are expensive and heavy, The hatch area sound reduction with a movers blanket was very impressive.

Sound and frequency readings were taking with a galaxy s cell phone. I tried laying phone on passenger seat, holding it head level and in the cup holder. Location really did not make a difference in readings .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for their insights (ba-dum-tish!)

I have new Bridgestone tires, under 500 miles on them.

I spend all day Saturday installing the Peel & Seal on the floor and stuffing the rear cavities with teddy bear guts. Wow was that a big, hot and dirty job. I haven't taken any new samples, but my first impression is that it is a bit quieter. I still have to apply the Dynamat to the doors and spare wheel well, so I'm still optimistic. Overall, the amount of weight added is looking to be under 30lbs

I have tomorrow off, and it's looking like its going to be another clear hot day. Doors are next.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sending you a PM. I'm curious where you're at in this project. I'm not sure if you saw, but my sound deadening project has not gone so well up until now, and I'm up to 80lbs added.

Thanks to everyone for their insights (ba-dum-tish!)

I have new Bridgestone tires, under 500 miles on them.

I spend all day Saturday installing the Peel & Seal on the floor and stuffing the rear cavities with teddy bear guts. Wow was that a big, hot and dirty job. I haven't taken any new samples, but my first impression is that it is a bit quieter. I still have to apply the Dynamat to the doors and spare wheel well, so I'm still optimistic. Overall, the amount of weight added is looking to be under 30lbs

I have tomorrow off, and it's looking like its going to be another clear hot day. Doors are next.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Status report!

I've finished insulating the doors, which resulted in a very noticeable reduction in noise. I used Dynamat and 1/2" closed-cell foam on the inside of the outer panel, and P&S on the outside of the inside panel. I wish I could give real numbers, but the SPL app I was using to measure is producing very inconsistent results. What I can say is the car is quieter, and the speakers sound much better. Most of the improvement seems to be in the middle range; lower engine and tire noise is still getting through. So far I've added about 15lbs of weight to the car, 5 to each door, and 5 to the floor.

Pro-tips for anyone following in my wake
-The aluminum lining on Dynamat is sharp. Death by a thousand paper cuts. Use super glue to seal off any cuts. This protects the injured area without adding bulky bandaging, and it keeps air from getting to the nerve endings, making them painless.
-The "glue" they used to put in the weather lining is pure concentrated evil. It's gooey and is difficult to remove. Get two rolls of paper towel, and a 16oz can of brake cleaner. It is pure concentrated good that will dissolve the glue, though it does take a lot of it. You can also use it to pre-wash your hands when you're done!

My next step is going to be the rear section, spare tire well, or the fire wall.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Let me know if there is a time I could stop by. I'd like to check it out, and possibly run a road noise test with my phone and mic to get comparison figures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Status report!

I've added P&S/Dynamat and 1/2" CCF to the spare wheel compartment. It was a fairly easy job compared to everything else I have done. Getting everything clean was the worst part, lot of awkward angles to be working at.

Noise reduction is negligible, though it seems that there is more noise coming from the front of the car than the back so it must have done something. I think my next project will be adding Dynamat and 1/2" CCF to the rear quarter panels/wheel wells.

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
Who cares, BACK ON TOPIC......... please.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sound Dampening for Road Noise

FB
If you want noise, run at that db with just the drivers window down and take a measurement.
Highway texture and high tire pressure also raises the db.

HTH
Willie
I prefer to fill my blow up doll with helium, that way when she floats away it's like she's playing hard to get.
Who cares, BACK ON TOPIC......... please.

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
And you had to go back to 2013 for that?

Good job.
Willie

1 - 20 of 33 Posts