Honda Insight Forum banner

What do you think is the loudest part of the insight?

• Wheel Wells

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Doors

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Hatch area

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Floor

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Hatch Area

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Firewall

Votes: 2 8.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phase 1: Rear storage area and rear bed
Materials:
- 1/2" Closed Cell Foam (like Ensolite)
- 1/4" Closed Cell Foam (like Ensolite)
- Spray adhesive 92
- Polyfil
- Great Stuff Spray

Tools:
- Ruler or measuring tape
- 14mm Socket
- 12mm Socket
- 10mm Socket
- Socket wrench
- Phillips Screwdriver #1
- flathead Screwdriver (w/tape over the end)
- Exacto Knife
- Scissors
- Box Knife
- Latex gloves

Goals:
- Under $100
- Under 50lbs
- Reduce road noise by 3-7dBA
- Eliminate rattles

Intro: Unfortunately Honda did not do much sound dampening with the Insight. This was probably a combination of cost saving and weight restrictions. Unfortunately this means that at highway speeds the Insight is one of the noisiest cars many of us have been in. The biggest sources of road noise in the rear of the car are coming from the wheel wells and the spare tire compartment. For this phase we will focus on damping those areas but we will do some damping in all the other areas as well.

Step 1: Prep
Remove the upholstery and everything found in the storage area. This includes the foam to the left of the IMA and the aluminum panels to the right of the IMA.

Remove the panels surrounding the hatch windows. To get access to this you will need to remove the bolt from the hatch hydraulic tube and the bolt from the seatbelt. These are both 14mm bolts. Use the flathead screwdriver to pry off the covers over the bolts.

Vaccum all surfaces, then clean all surfaces well with mild soap and warm water. Dry up any remaining moisture.

Step 2: Spray Adhesive
Using the spray upholstery adhesive spray down the left interior around the wheel well and up the walls. While that is setting spray the right side in the same way. Do not spray the spare tire compartment yet. The spray needs at least 5 minutes to set up but can have up to an hour before application.

Step 3: 1/2" Ensolite
Working with small strips (less than 12" x 6") cover the wheel well area. Before applying a strip of the foam, make sure to spray the back down with the adhesive. Apply pressure to the entire piece of foam. Take your time. You want every bit possible to be covered.

Step 4: 1/4" Ensolite
In the same fashion cover the rest of the left side with the thinner Ensolite. Again, spray the back with the adhesive.

***Repeat Steps 3 and 4 with the right side

Step 5: Great Stuff Spray
I only use great stuff where the polyfil won't easily reach. There is one place in the back for this. There is a vertical column that extends from the middle of the wheel well on both sides. It is hollow inside and while you probably could fill it with polyfil, Great Stuff expanding foam is much better in this case.

Using the applicator tube, spray the foam until it's about an inch away from the opening. The foam will expand the rest of the way. There are several holes you can use to spray in the foam.

If you accidentally use too much that's OK. Just wait an hour or so until it is semi-cured and cut away the extra... it's pretty easy to do.

***Repeat step 5 on the right side.

Step 6: Ensolite on Spare tire compartment
I used 1/4" Ensolite for the sides, front and back of the compartment. Do not put ensolite anywhere on the IMA Battery box as it needs room to breathe and the foam will only insulate heat which is bad news for the battery. I used 1/2" ensolite for the bottom of the spare tire compartment.

Step 7: Polyfil
I love this stuff. You can find it in Teddy Bears, pillows and all kinds of other plush toys. Use the polyfil liberally to the left and the right of the IMA battery. This stuff is great because it will dampen sound similarly to the Great Stuff Spray and yet it is completely removable should the IMA go bad and need to be replaced. The other benefit is that it isn't messy at all.

Step 8: Put it all back together
You may need to put holes in the Ensolite to put the plastic panels back in, but that shouldn't be difficult. Just line the panel up and note where the plastic pop-in is and there is where you need to put a hole in the ensolite.

Everything will be a tighter fit, but that isn't all that bad since it should serve to get rid of rattles.

Results: Noticeably quieter back (sorry, I don't have a meter so I can't give you a dB reading), rattle in the rear hatch is gone, sweeter bass response from my sub which the spare tire compartment effectively acts as a box for. Rough roads now sound the same as smooth roads and small bumps no longer sound like the rear wheels ran over a small child.

Upcoming:
- Phase 2: Doors
- Phase 3: Front Wheel Wells
- Phase 4: Floors and firewall
- Phase 5: Rear Wheel Wells

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the guide. I'm hoping to do this to my Insight in the next month or two. Its fine on the Smooth new Motorways, but the older roads its just too loud and the stereo needs to be up high to drown it out.

Cant wait to see the rest!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I might try something like this aswell, that large wheel well must just act as a resonance chamber so adding mass to the panels should help. Also I imagine those rubber cargo mats serve as a good barrier to actually block sound that might be worth trying, although at 7.5kg there reasonable heavy.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Nice work. Great pics.
This will surely make your x-country trip more pleasurable.

Question: How do you think this mod affects the battery compartment temperature or ventillation?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good question about the IMA Battery temp and vent. There are probably some others on this forum that could better answer this question or the question could be answered by taking an ambient temperature reading in the area.

Honestly I'm not too concerned. The Ensolite in the wheel wells and spare tire area don't block or reduce air flow and the polyfil on the sides does not block any vents.

However, I specifically would not recommend putting polyfill in the spare tire compartment as that would reduce air flow. I also would not recommend putting ensolite (the closed cell foam) anywhere on the IMA box. Not only would it not do any good, but it would act as a heat insulator.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jonnyvtec,

The ensolite doesn't work the best as a "mass loader" although it does do some of that. The closed cell foam works the same way that screaming into a pillow works. It acts as a sound barrier or dampener. Mass loaders like Dynomat Extreme are meant to deaden sound by eliminating rattling. The main problem in the Insight however is outside road noise, not rattling (although I'm working on figuring out where two rattles in my dash are coming from).

I chose Ensolite because its light weight and works better than the heavy mass loaders at dampening road noise. Polyfil and Great Stuff Expanding foam have similar properties.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Question.

Given the current climate, im looking to do this on a budget. I've worked out its going to cost a good €200 to do this. Not the bargain I had hoped. However, I just came across a box of about 1000 mousemats. Foam backed. Would this stuff be a cheap alternative? Going to see how "fireproof" one is later!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The question you will need to answer for the mats is what they are made of. If they are open cell foam (lighter and squishier) then they are susceptable to moisture and will mold if you use them in areas like the wheel wells. You want closed cell foam which is denser. My guess is that if these are door mats then you don't need to worry about moisture. Here is what I would take into consideration:

- Are they flexible? The foam you need will need to contour to the shape of what you are adhesing it to. If these are hard rubberized mats then they won't work well and will come off frequently

- Are they heavy? If it's a dense rubberized mat then it's going to add a lot of weight to the insight. Try to think how much 50 square feet (13 square meters) is going to weigh.

- How thick is it? 1/2" and 1/4" is ideal, although there are areas where you could use thicker.

I purchased my closed-cell foam locally at a rubber supply shop. You might see if you can find one in your area so you don't need to worry about shipping.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I started at this last night, I found that in the LHS & RHS Panels, between the outer skin and inner skin, the wheelarches were covered in 1/2 thick foam pads already! Im not sure if this was done at factory level or if the Honda Distributor did this (Car was owned by Honda UK, then Honda Ireland, now me).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Anyway, rear is stripped and have used the more expensive E-Dead around the wheel arches and in parts of the boot well. I got under the car and you could see how exposed some of it was to tyre noise, so I felt this was as important as the wheel arches, if not more as its so thin and shaped like a drum!

Lots more to do before I can put it back together and get results.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I started at this last night, I found that in the LHS & RHS Panels, between the outer skin and inner skin, the wheelarches were covered in 1/2 thick foam pads already! Im not sure if this was done at factory level or if the Honda Distributor did this (Car was owned by Honda UK, then Honda Ireland, now me).

Has anyone else noticed this?
I have a 2003 CVT model and I have the foam stuffed in those areas as well. I discovered the foam when I was installing hidden exhaust fans (solar powered). I mounted them in those holes so that you can not see them at the carpeted vent openings but wanted to make sure there was an open path to the larger back vents (seen when you remove the rear bumper).

The cable for my fuel filler door was rattling against the out shell when going over bumps so I re-used that foam and placed the cable in between a folder piece wedged between the inner and outer shell (no more annoying noise - it was just previously taped to the out shell metal and the tape came undone)

It is a light way to insulate some areas a bit and also a way to get rid of some trash at the same time. That way they can say that the Insight is made of some recycled materials :)...These foam pieces that I took out to look are not made for the car. They were manually cut in all random shapes. They look like cut up pieces of what you would see in small shipments to protect electrical components. Perhaps they used the packaging foam that the IMA components arrive from another location. Should we throw it in the trash or throw it in the Insight? :)

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
211 Posts
Really interesting write up,thanks for taking the time to do it. I am glad you explained why the foam is better than dynamat type materials. Where did you get your foam from? It seems like it may be a difficult material to get. I am making fiberglass sub woofers for the insight and imagine I will need to do something like this. I had a rattle in the rear area and discovered it was the spare tire as well as the tire iron. I put some speaker carpeting under the spare and wrapped the iron in a scrap piece,solved that rattle. I think for the doors a dynamat type material will be ideal because of the limited access inside the door and limited space between the door panel and sheet metal. On a previous car project I bought 100 square feet of fat mat on ebay and it came in 2 rolls. Both of the rolls weighed 30 lbs. So 50 square feet weight around 15 lbs. Also you will reduce that by trimming it and peeling off the backing paper if you really want to be fussy. But 50 square feet is a ton! To use all 50 square feet you wuld have to line the inside of the door cavity and put 2 layers between the sheet metal and door panel. This would also help those terrible stock speakers to sound better. Maybe the foam would work I just cant see how to get enough of it inside the door and keep it from messing with the window regulator etc etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
(no more annoying noise - it was just previously taped to the out shell metal and the tape came undone)
I noticed one or two items like this, must remember to re-glue them so they wont rattle again, cheers for pointing that out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Still to install the main carpet in the back and cargo foam cover, but the difference is quite good, very little road noise comming from that area now. Just the front area to do now, but want to install the TPS mod, Scangauge & pollen filter at the same time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Cole,
In your opinion did it improve the sound level without doing anything up front or do you still hear tire noise in the front? Also your TPS circuit is on its way,Thanks for the business.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cole,
In your opinion did it improve the sound level without doing anything up front or do you still hear tire noise in the front? Also your TPS circuit is on its way,Thanks for the business.
Im not 100% sure what you mean by sound level (radio or road noise)? Basically the car is quieter now without touching the front end yet. I used to try and work out where the noise was comming from, it was all around! Now its cleary just comming from the front wells (I've done both door cards too).

Tyre noise up front is still far too loud, will have that sorted within the next two weeks I hope.

No probs for the business.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After driving for some time with my modifications I've come to these conclusions:

- Use a mass loader such as dynamat sparingly only for rattles. As was pointed out earlier, this stuff is meant to get rid of rattles, not deaden road noise... plus it's heavy as all getout.

- use as thick of closed-cell foam as possible on the top of the rear wells (inside of the car), front wells, firewall and storage compartment. All the other areas cover with the 1/4" closed foam... although the doors are up to you because some noise will come from them.

- On the doors, if you use too thick of foam you will have a difficult time getting the panel back on. Just trim your foam carefully and it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

- If you use an expanding foam (especially in the front wheel cavities) then use a two-part mixed foam and be ultra careful with it because it becomes a pain when you get it on the paint.

Ultimately you will experience vast improvement but you aren't going to end up with a lexus when you're done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Soundprooffing Insight

I had a shop install "Dynamat" soundprooffing to doors and floor and have found it to be most effective in the doors. The material on the floor didn't seem to have as much impact. I also did the firewall. I did nothing to rear area and now will consider this using your information.

I have a 2005 Insight with over 198,600 miles (original owner). Avg mileage over entire period: 58.7mpg.

Thanks,

Henri

(714) 280-2332

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any chance anyone can rehosted any of these pictures of the install?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts