Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently purchased low miles 2010 ES arrived with a bottle of goo and a compressor instead of a spare tyre ( tire). I have never liked this idea since the goo only works on around 50% of all punctures and also incurs a significant oncost in cleaning up the mess when the tyre is replaced. I have never really like the idea of deliberately driving on a tyre I know to be damaged either.
The solution is easy thinks I , I shall find a cheap space saver on the internet. I discovered that this was more easily said than done. There were some insight space savers available but they were very few in number and relatively expensive. I noticed that Honda jazz space savers seemed to be more plentiful and cheaper and so I checked the compatability. Hey presto! problem solved.
The post 2008 honda Jazz shares the same space saver size, PCD, stud number and size in addition to the same offset as the Insight.
I have now had the Jazz space saver installed on the right rear hub of the car just to prove it is suitable. On another forum I had read that in the event of a puncture on any tyre it is safer to reorganise the tyres on a space saver equipped car so that the space saver goes onto the rear axle of the car since steering with a space saver on the front axle is a bit tricky and unpredictable.

While researching the wheel sizes for the Insight I also discovered that using a 195/55x16 tyre instead of a 185/55x16 allows one to have access to a greater range of tyres and is a safe option to adopt on the standard rims. The under reading speedometer of the insight would also register a speed which would be closer to the actual speed whilst still showing slightly higher than real speed.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Space saver tire good. Air pump and tire sealant (goo) less good. Agree.

Taller tire will under report already under reported speed. Larger diameter tire will turn fewer times per mile, thus giving the impression of slower speed. You can use a good GPS unit to acquire relatively real speed, if needed.

195/55 16 tire definitely allows way more tire choices at replacement time. Wish we had a 16" Honda Alloy option to chose from for our Insights here in the States! You guys over there, get all the good stuff!:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taller tire will under report already under reported speed. Larger diameter tire will turn fewer times per mile, thus giving the impression of slower speed. You can use a good GPS unit to acquire relatively real speed, if needed.

:(
Taller tire will tend to correct already over reported speed. Currently when my speedo says 30 I am really travelling closer to 28. Car expects wheel to rotate so many times per mile irrespective of tire size or speed and therefore larger tire will allow car to travel at 29 when reporting 30 on the speedo. Imagine if you will that the cars computer corrects speed input received through its sensors in order to make sure that under all circumstances, the speedo does not over read. I run a scan gauge 2 which reads the uncorrected data which coincides very well with a GPS reading. Running the larger circumference tire just applies a correction factor of around 3% to the already rigged speedo reading in order to make it more accurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts