Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here at Hybrid-Battery-Repair, we go through a lot of batteries. For every battery we rebuild, we have to replace several bad battery sticks. We always need more batteries as raw materials to replace these components.

If you have an old IMA battery laying around, we'd like to offer you a trade.

We are offering a $300 discount coupon for any Insight IMA battery traded in and a $200 discount coupon for any 2003-2005 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA battery.

These coupons do not expire, you can give them away or sell them, and they can be combined together to get massive discounts or even completely free repairs.

In addition, anyone presenting a coupon will not have to pay for any replacement battery sticks.

This means that if you replaced your Insight battery a while back and now the new one is on the fritz, you can get it repaired for only $300 plus shipping.

The best part is that we'll ship you a crate with pre-paid shipping to pick up the battery.

Give us a call at 718-554-7899

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What about extending the capacity of existing battery packs?
What do you mean by "extending"?

If you mean increasing the capacity of the IMA battery beyond the original design, there are a few threads here on adding secondary "booster" batteries.

If you mean extending the life of existing battery packs, any battery pack I rebuild will act as new, but with slightly reduced capacity (because it has been used for many years). A new factory stock battery is 6500 Mah. The batteries that go out my door are all 6000 or more. The battery will still put out the same charge as new, just for less time. Instead of the factory 6 minutes of full assist, you might be looking at 5 minutes and 30 seconds instead. This means I have to discard all the 4000 Mah sticks that come in, hence my need for more batteries. Any battery pack I acquire will have at least some good sticks.

You have to get down to below 2000 Mah or so before you get P1447 errors.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A new factory stock battery is 6500 Mah.
So two of my Macbook Pro laptop batteries would be greater than that big pack in the back of my Insight? I knew lithium-polymer batteries were smaller in comparison to Ni-MH, but I didn't know the difference was that big.

According to my system specs, my laptop battery has a capacity of 4500 mAh. Is there a unit difference there? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So two of my Macbook Pro laptop batteries would be greater than that big pack in the back of my Insight? I knew lithium-polymer batteries were smaller in comparison to Ni-MH, but I didn't know the difference was that big.

According to my system specs, my laptop battery has a capacity of 4500 mAh. Is there a unit difference there? Am I missing something?
The voltage. Watts = Amps*Volts. Your laptop battery is probably 3.6 volts. That means that at 4.5Ah it puts out 4.5*3.6 = 16.2 Watts for 1 hour. The Insight pack is 144V. So that is 6.5Ah * 144V = 936 Watts for 1 hour.

Basically, your laptop uses three cells, and the Insight uses 120. Each cell has the same power, but there are many more of them in the car.

And yes, I know the Macbook uses LiPo and it probably isn't 3.6V, but even if it is double that, we're still talking orders of magnitude difference.

Now if you got about 40 laptop batteries together, you'd have a pretty good car battery, and it would probably weigh half of what the Insight pack weighs (65 lbs).

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
This means I have to discard all the 4000 Mah sticks that come in, hence my need for more batteries.
Let me know , email or private message ... before you discard ( I know you meant recycle ;) ) any of those : weaker ... more beaten sticks... I know they are not up to par ... but for my on going battery tests and such ... it would be useful for me to have older / more worn sticks to test as well.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me know , email or private message ... before you discard ( I know you meant recycle ;) ) any of those : weaker ... more beaten sticks... I know they are not up to par ... but for my on going battery tests and such ... it would be useful for me to have older / more worn sticks to test as well.

Ian,

I'm mostly hanging on to the worn sticks, but I have BAD ones that will self-discharge to nothing in days. I also have the remains of that pack from Alabama that was so messed up (heat damage -probably).

And I don't discard. I do recycle. There are a few battery recycling bins nearby.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Ian,

I'm mostly hanging on to the worn sticks, but I have BAD ones that will self-discharge to nothing in days. I also have the remains of that pack from Alabama that was so messed up (heat damage -probably).

And I don't discard. I do recycle. There are a few battery recycling bins nearby.
I was thinking of the bad ones actually ... as in if you have no use for it yourself ... drop me a line before you send it off for recycling ...

I already have good ones I have been testing ... so more of the same would probably not add any new types of additional data points for me ... but battery sticks that fully discharge in days ... battery sticks with very low usable Ah ... bad internal resistance ... whatever ... if you consider the stick shot and bad ... those are the ones I might be interested in... contact me about your crappy ... useless ... non-functional ... was burned ... had cell rupture ... etc...

if you want me to send you back any of the specific data I collect about any of these bad sticks ... just let me know and make a note for yourself of the Panasonic series number from the stick before you send it to me ... I can then reference anything I send back to you to that serial number.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Thanks, I will look you up if needed.

If you get into the business of booster or extender batteries, let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts