Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently came across a very affordable '01 Insight engine complete with IMA motor. As documented in my dedicated car thread, the 350k mile engine is in need of replacement.

Rather than attempt to pull my engine and rebuild in a short amount of time, I opted to buy a cheap spare engine and rebuild as time permits. I prefer rebuilding vs swapping a different used engine since I know the rebuilt engine will be durable for a long time to come. Also, I enjoy rebuilding engines.

So here's the donor engine. It came from a red G1 with 210k miles that had already been stripped almost bare.

The engine was covered in oil/grease residue from years of neglect and oil leaks. Just for kicks I'll perform a leakdown test on each of the cylinders to see what the current state is. It will be rebuilt regardless, this is more for my own curiosity.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My pickup has to have a bit of work done on it this month, so the G1 engine rebuild won't begin in earnest just yet. I plan to pull it apart and spec the cylinder bores (again for curiosity) in the next few weeks.

The general plan is to spec/service the block, spec/replace-if-needed the connecting rod and main bearings, and rebuild the head. I have a new upper cat that will be installed as well.

More to come...

Reactions: Natalya and MparkH

·
Super Moderator
8,684 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the cylinder bore wear is. Don't recall anyone rebuilding a short block, though several have done cylinder heads.

If the bores check out, I think I'd hone with one of those ball hones and put in new rings.

Reactions: Atheos

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you could take detail pictures of the cylinder head and the ports that would just be lovely! Always wanted to see the inside of one. I havent checked the service manual if there are any pictures. I wonder if there are some?

Regardless im excited for you! This is a smart idea!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I performed a leakdown test on the spare engine yesterday. All three cylinders register <25psi. That may explain why the car was parked however I won't know for sure until I pull the head. Plan to do that in the next few days.

@JuicyBait, I will take lots of pics as part of this thread.

·
Super Moderator
8,684 Posts
That's horrible. Can't even make a guess with all three that low.

Maybe ran without coolant.

Did you look at the oil??

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes engines that sit will develop a bit of rust around the valves that can manifest in false positives on leakdown tests. In the end it won't matter this engine is heading for rebuild anyway - I did not buy this to put it in my car with only a bare minimum of attention. So much easier to do it now while it's on the workbench, and while my car is still driveable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick video showing how IMA cables are removed at the engine:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
getting closer

Head needs to be shaved, and of course new valve seals/guides and lapping of the seats.

Reactions: Ecky and Natalya

·
Registered
30 Posts
Took me just a couple minutes to find this.

It shows in stock.

I dont think theres a universal rebuild kit for crank/rod bearings as youd have to measure what you have to get the proper ones.

Looks like timing components are out of stock at rock auto but most likely in stock through OE options like majestic. I wouldnt want to skimp on timing components and get a "kit" anyway. Always OE on timing stuff for me!

edit- heres one that has even more gaskets in it More Information for ITM ENGINE COMPONENTS 0900819

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OEM still offers many engine components such as main bearings rods, pistons in different sizes, ring kits, ect

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,111 Posts
IIRR, the dealers only have the first OS on the rings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts