Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2000, it only had one key and one keyless entry remote. I bought a remote from ebay and programmed it, so I'm halfway there.

Is there a way to program a spare key without using a special programming tool? There is a locksmith in Charlotte, NC that can do it a lot cheaper than the dealer, but some cars are able to program a key in similar fashion as the remote and I was hoping to buy a transponder blank and program it in the car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
Spartanburg, SC
2000 Citrus

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure you program the original one you start with as well, or it won't be programmed any more. It took a couple of tries because I didn't do enough on-off-click thingys, but they both work fine.

1)Obtain all remote transmitters.

NOTE: A maximum of 3 remote transmitters can be
programmed.

2)Switch ignition ON>

3)Proceed as follows:
a)Within 5 seconds: Press LOCK button or UNLOCK
button of first remote transmitter>
b)Within 5 seconds: Switch ignition OFF.
c)Within 5 seconds: Switch ignition ON.

4)Repeat procedure above twice.

5)Within 5 seconds: Press LOCK button or UNLOCK button
of first remote transmitter.

6)System should now lock and unlock vehicle to
indicate programming mode activated.

7)Within 10 seconds:
a)Press LOCK button or UNLOCK button of first remote
transmitter, allowing doors to lock and unlock once.
b)Press LOCK button or UNLOCK button of each remaining
remote transmitter to be programmed, allowing doors to
lock and unlock once as each remote transmitter is
programmed.

8)Switch ignition OFF.

9)Remove key.

10)Check operations of all programmed remote
transmitters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I read somewhere that these remotes don't work with the dealer-installed security system. Can anyone confirm/deny this? I'm guessing that you can use the transmitter as normal anyway, but don't get the security activated. My car arrived with one lone key, so I'm living dangerously right now.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I only got one key with my car and I managed to put together another set. For future reference, the CRV or S2000 key flobs will work with out Insight's, you'll just have an extra button for the rear door or "option" which does nothing, but the lock, unlock, and panic buttons will work. This is what I did and they can be had pretty much any time off eBay for around $15.

Now for the keys. I was planning on just biting the bullet and pay to get another key made and the car programmed to it, but it turns out thats only necessary when you loose all keys to the car. What my dealership's parts department was able to do was clone my working key. I think I paid something to the effect of $15 to have this done, so remote and key I had another set made for about $30. They will need your vin number to make a cloned key though, so you should just write that down and bring it with you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
First I'd check to see if the ECM recall has been performed on your 2000. When I had mine replaced under the recall, the dealership programmed my key and a spare that I had had cut for free. (since they needed to be reprogrammed for the new ECM)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The recalls have both been done, so it looks like a trip to Charlotte one afternoon. Thanks for the input.
Robert

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer near where I work will sell, cut and prgram a key for $25. I guess that's not entirely out of the question. I can get it done a little cheaper, but I don't have to go any distance to get it.
Thought it was pretty reasonable, considering what the "different breed" dealer where I live wanted.
robert

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is their a limit to the number of keys that can be made ? I will be picking up a 2002 Insight next Thursday that I just purchased from a dealer. He claimed that you can only program 2 master keys and 1 valet key. I do not understand why this would be correct. You should be able to copy or "clone" the master key. What would happen if you had a car that was shaired with three drivers or more ? I made him put an extra key in the contract but I do not know What will hapen when I go to pick up the car from the dealer. Can someone explain how the key system works and if the dealer is correct ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
sleazy dealers... (key duping)

When I purchased my (wonderful...) 2001 Insight just now it only came with one key. So... I headed to a local dealer and asked about dupes.

They said (sit down now...) $95 to hook up the computer to the car and read the codes, then $55 (or so) for each key.

I went to another... Roughly the same for the key, but, of course, no requirement about hooking up the computer.

Still quite a bit higher than other people have mentioned (disadvantage of being in the NYC area), but at least they were honest about the work and the price.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check with one of your local locksmiths. There are a lot of them that can duplicate a Honda key. All it takes is a unit that can read and set the transponder codes, and there are many different types out there. There is a locksmith in Charlotte, NC that I was going to go to, but the Honda Dealer I went to did it for a few bucks more and I didn't have drive the extra distance. I think it was about $29 at the dealer and $22 at the locksmith.
robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts