Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all...im wondering if anyone has any knowledge on where i could get and how much it would cost to get a new spare rear bumper for my insight...also, how difficult would it be to change? my current one has some minor damage on it that i think would be easier to just replace the bumper than try to fix each little scrape and nick...any help would be great

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
You have 2 options new or used. Prices vary from location to location and shipping for such a bulky and easily damaged part will be high. And then there's the Insight rarity factor.

I can't imagine you'll get out for less than $200-300 used + paint if you can't find one of the same color and it won't be "perfect". Repair of the existing bumper is almost always cheaper and requires an on-site inspection for an estimate.

If your gonna become a mechanic you'll need the textbook. The Insight FSM's come up regurlarly on eBay.

Happy shopping / bidding :!:

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Majestic Honda:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... y5=BUMPERS

$168 brand new although it is unpainted (just like if you bought it from a Honda dealer). Majestic Honda is in Rhode Island and since you live in Connecticut, it may be esier / cheaper for you to pick it up.

I have never removed my rear bumper (I did the front one). The service manual is a great book if your going to do this type of stuff as Insightful Trekker mentioned earlier.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm...thanks...maybe ill just leave it, haha

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Where exactly is the bumper damaged? The lower black plastic piece separates from the upper painted plastic piece. I've replaced two lower black plastic bumper pieces on two different Insight's where someone backed in to something and the upper bumper piece survived unscathed. This piece can be had for a modest price from Honda (I want to say around $80), and they keep them in stock in California because both times it only took 2 days to get one.

The bumper removal would best be shown with a service manual page print screen, but it's easy to get off. Most of the hardware is under the fender skirts and under the tail lights. You remove the skirts and tail lights, unbolt everything and and it comes right off. Then if your separating the two halves there's some more clips holding the two pieces together. The second time I did it I think I had the whole thing done with in a half hour.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks rick...theres just a few nicks on the painted part, all the way through the paint to the black under bumper...not more than a few square inches total, but enough to bug me on my nice shiny car :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I understand ya. Probably your best bet it to remove the bumper and the lower black plastic piece (or have them do it if your not comfortable with it) and take it to a body shop and have them repaint it. It shouldn't take too long, there will be probably a couple hundred bucks worth of paint plus labor involved. Just make sure you don't go to a cheap place like Maaco, get some good paint. I personally use PPG paint, which is kind of the industry standard.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, right now the finances arent there for something so minor...i did try covering them up with a couple of those magnetic "support" ribbons everyone has on their car...forgetting that it was aluminuim...haha

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If you want a temporary fix go to a paint and body store and see if they sell a small 1 ounce touch up bottle. Do not get the Honda touch up paint, their New Formula Red is about 7 shades too dark for some reason. If you have an air brush that's the best way to apply it, but you can also dab it on slowly. You'll still know it's there, but from 10 feet it might not look too bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.