Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Insight, the spare tire, jack and lug wrench were missing. I got another spare, the little donut that is recommended. I understand that it is supposed to fit in the well in the back, but it doesn't, and I am wondering if there is another, deeper one somewhere down where the hybrid battery is.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to open that compartment. I see some things that appear to be latches, but I guess I'm doing something wrong, because nothing happens.

All suggestions and advice welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you have a G1 Insight, underneath the grocery cargo area is where the spare is. You have to pull off the cargo compartment, and underneath you'll probably find that you actually already had a spare.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are speaking of the large open cargo area when you open the hatchback and where you lift up the flap to reveal a smaller deep rectangular area underneath it, that is where I tried to fit the tire. It doesn't fit there. Is there another area underneath that?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah, beneath all that is the spare tire, all the way at the bottom. On top of the spare tire is a flat piece of coroplast, and the rectangular cargo area above sits on top of it. You have to remove everything above it to get to the spare. Just keep removing stuff til you see metal, that's where you'll find it.

It's not super easy to get to, but there's a real good chance you have a spare underneath all that carpeting and plastic!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The dealer in Phoenix I bought my car from tried to tell me Insights didn't have spare tires, when I asked to see it. Thanks to this forum I knew better, and we dug out that little storage compartment and found it, and the related tool bag and jack. That was funny, as he said they have sold several first gen Insights. I must have been the first buyer who wanted to see the spare.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Fooled me when I first got into these cars too. Side note- I believe the spare needs to be there as it is part of the crash protection for these cars. I agree with Cowmeat, and bet the original poster will find one when they remove that carpeted cubby hole thingy.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,624 Posts
If he hasn't found it in three years, he never will.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
^ LOL That's the best one I've read in weeks Willie!!! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.