Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,120 Posts
Jim:
Be aware that the Insight (Gen-1) plugs are 1" long on the threaded portion and they have a iranium (sp) center rod and tip on the ground tab.

Right now I'm right in the middle of testing a set of AUTOLITE xp 5325's in the Little Red Rocket as an experiment also. They are a little shorter in the center insulation (maybe a diffference in heat range) so the side grounding tang doesn't protude into the combustion center as much as the original plugs. (1/16" less) The grounding tang on two of the plugs were within tolerances when installed but one was 180 degrees off after installation. (No matter how I switched them between cylinders) Someone posted a picture showing the difference between the plugs, but I can't remember who.
Also it is a cost thing. the AUTOLITES were $6.45 each I believe.

I think I put the installation mileage of the plugs on the CD I gave you under "Insight Cost".
After 3,000 miles it is hard to come to a conclusion as to any loss in mpg. My driveing is usually in "Sport Mode" and I see no difference in the performance.
I hope you have tabulated the thickness of the copper gaskets for indexing. Maybe removing the standard sealing washer?

After 3,000 miles I can't see any difference in the mpg or power. I believe it would have to be a controled scenerio to make a valid judgement. (Too many variables involved) After 5,000 miles I'll be reinstalling the old std. plugs as they only have about 75,000 miles on them. (Lets see what the coloring on the insulation looks like.)

That's my opinion.
Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,120 Posts
Ok so you are going to try to stick a sharpie at least 3-1/2 inches down a recess hole and get a valid mark on the sparkplug........Good luck.

Put a sparkplug socket (The type that holds the plug in place) onto the plug and mark the top of the socket closest to the center line of the head (Forward). When you eventually pull the plug out with the socket, it should be easier to determine which way the plug electrode is pointing. Where the electrode wire is welded to the plug body should end up towards the rear of the car. (Viewed like the plug is in the engine)
HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,120 Posts
I seriously doubt that a dyno run (indexed vs non-indexed plugs) will show anything.
After all the G1 is not a high horsepower engine.
Maybe if you were useing Methanol or Alcohol as a fuel base. Then you would have to make other changes for it to be benefical.
(My opinion)
Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,120 Posts
yeah there is no power, the engine is just going on for the ride.

Willie
Maybe check the horsepower at idle in first gear?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,120 Posts
As long as the gap isn't too wide and the coloring is right, leave them alone. I went over 200K in a set of plugs in the LRR.

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,120 Posts
Good job. They looks about right.

HTH
Willie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts