Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Then technically there is no reason that you could NOT burn straight ethanol in the car as it would automatically adjust the mixture for a good burn???
Considering the limited power of lean-burn, to put a fuel that, although has higher octane and could probably adjust timing to a more optimal spec, ethanol as a fuel has less energy content than straight gas. I'm already bothered enough by the lack of lean-burn performance that is likely largely affected by the 10% ethanol that is available here that if I put E85 or straight ethanol in, I think I would be kissing lean-burn in 5th gear goodbye completely.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Yes, BUT. The BUT has to do with the cost of the fuel. I dont mind loosing some power if the fuel is $2 a gallon or less. You can build a small still, get a license to use it (requires denaturing the alcohol with 1% gasoline), and ferment your mash from all sorts of things. The bottom line is Ethanol for $2 a gallon plus some labor.

OK, thats not much savings today with gas at $2.90 a gallon. But if fuel is $5 a gallon...predicted price for two years from now....or fuel is just NOT AVAIALBLE....then....well, its nice to knpw that our cars can run from home grown fuel...if the need arises.
I can respect that. In that case I wouldn't mind either.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Yeah, I agree, a dyno run won't show anything.

The plug indexing is for lean burn, not for overall power.

I'd love to see some lean burn dyno runs though. I've always estimated that the engine is producing horsepower numbers in the teens in lean burn.
I'd love to have that data too, if I had a good chunk of money for testing I'd be finding the lean-burn HP, torque, and fuel usage(for BSFC) from 1000-3000RPM in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear under 70% load, 80% load, and 85% load. I'd also want an 80% run from 1000-3000RPM in 5th gear to confirm/deny the fuel efficiency of using lean-burn at the same load. It would answer tons of questions about what the ideal operating methods would be for this car. Of course I don't have the resources(i.e. money and connections) to even consider doing it.

I'd be sure to do it with new properly oriented plugs ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts