Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about matching the letters, but does anyone know
the Tork spec for plugs, and what wrench size i need.

ANy help appreciated

Thanks
g

·
Registered
58 Posts
Spark Plug Info

Ok,you need a good quality 5/8" -3/8 spark plug drive socket that has thin walls,otherwise the outside diameter will be too large. Antiseize the sparkplug threads along with the 2 -10 mm hex bolts that hold the ignition coils over the sparkplugs.The torque spec is 17 ft-lbs. Match order the new sparkplugs from the dealer by the index code that is stamped on the cylinder head right nex to the spark plug hole

Cyl. head marked=A order P/N 12290-PHM-AO1
=B order P/N 12291-PHM-AO1
=C order P/N 12292-PHM-AO1
=D order P/N 12293-PHM-AO1

The sparkplugs are NGK Iridium type ILZFR5A-11 but must be index to align with the intake valve,thats why the plugs must be ordered from the dealer.The index is marked on the metal terminal end of the plug. DONOT set the gap on the IRIDIUM tip plugs,only check them for wear-and install new if they are worn beyond the 0.039-0.043 in new gap.

·
Registered
734 Posts
17 ft/lbs is what I dialed my torque wrench to click at, works fine. My GSR motor I have torqued to 20 ft/lbs for the past 10 years, so no problems there. All aluminum also...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,921 Posts
What engine uses 40 ft lb on the spark plugs?
Curious
Willie

·
Registered
734 Posts
did you use any anti-seize as I heard that messes with torque settings from time to time?
Unless you have a super accurate torque wrench (+/- 1%), the anti-seize will not affect it. I am avid user of anti-seize and I've never had a problem torquing anything down with it applied.

·
7,200 Posts
Supposedly you're supposed to derate by a percentage if using anti-sieze. So the danger being that you could overtorque something.

I've never had a problem though.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I have a craftsman 1/2" drive digital torque wrench I tried to use for the plugs. It works great for the 80lbs on the lug nuts but I could never feel the click showing it had hit 17ft/lbs so I left the plugs at a guess as to torque.
Could someone recommmend a good torque wrench to accurately set the plugs.
Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Torque wrench for spark plugs and many other bolts.

Service manuals are available at Helminc.com. They are on sale for vehicles 2007 and older.

I used the value in N-M given in the service manual. The value may be given in ft-lb also.

I used a 3/8" Craftsman click-type torque wrench. The range of torque values is less than the range for the 1/2" torque wrench.

The Craftsman will do N-M and another type which may be ft-lb or in-lb. This torque wrench is also useful for many other bolts on the vehicle. Most bolts on the vehicle have torque values given in the manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts