Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 1st Gen Honda Insight and I'm looking at replacing the spark plugs. They are the B version. I called my local Honda dealer here(Nanaimo, BC, Canada), and they want $71 per spark plug. There has to be a cheaper place to get them. Thoughts?

Cheers & thank you!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
They're about $16-20 at U.S. Honda dealers, like Majestic Honda in Rhode Island. But they probably don't ship international, and it's probably the same with other U.S. dealers.

If you decide it's too much trouble or $ for the OEM plugs, a close, probably the closest, off-the-shelf match is the NGK LFR5AIX-11. I tried those a while back and they actually clocked properly in my 'B' head. Someone else tried them and said they didn't clock properly... They're slightly different beyond the hit-or-miss clocking/lack of indexing; the reach - how deep they reach into the cylinder bore - is slightly less than OEM, and I think these are a single precious metal plug, just iridium, rather than iridium and platinum. I think they're spec'd for 50k miles rather than 100k like OEM...

Here's an old pic of them side by side (OEM on left):

Here's a link to the thread where I first posted info on these: New Spark Plug Indexing

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would go for the NGK LFR5AIX-11 for $15

It's what I plan on running when I decide to change plugs. People can talk and talk about how the engineers designed it for such and such but this is also the same car where the engineers tell you to change the oil filter every OTHER oil change. Maybe the original plugs do get you .5 mpg better but if you buy those fancy OEM plugs from majestic be prepared to spend around $70 because they charge a lot for shipping

If you want the OEM's you get them at majestic honda, but I think the price is crazy

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
^ Wow, that almost sounds too good to be true... But if it is (true), that's a serious deal.

edit: I just ordered some, so we'll see. Wouldn't hurt to have some extra plugs on hand.

·
Registered
156 Posts
^ Wow, that almost sounds too good to be true... But if it is (true), that's a serious deal.

edit: I just ordered some, so we'll see. Wouldn't hurt to have some extra plugs on hand.
Its a great deal. I bought it months ago but have yet to install them

·
Registered
503 Posts
I just happened to see this video about counterfeit spark plugs being sold on Amazon & ebay. I wasn't convinced these really are fake, but interesting anyway:

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I just happened to see this video about counterfeit spark plugs being sold on Amazon & ebay. I wasn't convinced these really are fake, but interesting anyway....
That's truly fascinating. It didn't occur to me that the plugs could be fake. Personally I found the video and the evidence to be fully convincing, credible. The rough, square-ish negative electrode, bigger box, and then confirmation of the wrong part number from an expert at NGK seem very tell-tale to me... Just the square-ish neg electrode -- it's the sort of manufacturing detail you'd expect to suffer in a lower quality product. Kind of like the differences between chinese aftermarket sticks vs. the OEM Panasonic ones, if you've ever compared the two side by side (which I have)...

I still have my old set of the LFR5AIX -- can't be sure those aren't counterfeit -- but nevertheless I'll compare those to the ones I get from the above source when I get them...

I think the thing that I'd be most concerned about with these plugs, if they were counterfeit, is that I'd guess one way cost could be reduced is to forgo the use of iridium, which in general would be more expensive, probably both the material itself and the process (plating or whatever they do). The iridium is what makes the plugs last much longer than typical, non-precious metal plugs. It's not the absolute longevity per se, though, that's problematic; it's that the plugs will deteriorate faster in the meantime and won't perform as well during that time. That kind of thing makes an out-sized impact on our cars, being the finicky critters they are. I mean, just cleaning your plugs after say 30k miles of use makes a noticeable difference in performance. So... this counterfeit thing isn't purely an academic exercise, not when it comes to our cars...

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
Simple "cleaning of the sparkplugs" can be done in a few minutes. Drive like you stole it for a while, or ever now and then.
Iridium plugs will last at least 100K miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Y'all are nuts. Just get the right ones from Honda. Or Scott. They'll last 100K miles. How long will the fake ones last? It's just not worth fooling around with.

Sam

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
^ In general yeah, OEM plugs are the way to go, and perfectly reasonable at the typical $16-20 a piece. But OP says he can only find them for $72 a piece, in Canada. I think one would be "nuts" paying that price.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
What Sam is saying is that if he were to order them here and have them shipped it would be less expensive than the $72.00 ea. price.

He mentioned me because I stock them and I will ship to Canada, many dealerships will not because they don’t want to deal with that additional paperwork for customs.

Scott

·
Registered
73 Posts
Be careful of the cheap NGK iridiums on eBay, they are fake, but good ones. Just bought some for a Subaru I am working on. Took them and compared the to the real thing at AutoZone. The only difference is in the electrode, it is fatter and shorter. Here;s a picture, one on the left is real NGK. There was even rust on the sealing ring of what what was supposed to be a new plug.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Okay I got kinda mad for a minute with you guys claiming those cheap ebay plugs were fake. But now I kind of accept that they are probably counterfeit. I messaged the ebay seller asking if they are counterfeit or not and if he claims they are genuine I'm gonna contact NGK

Also if you notice in that original ebay link I linked you will see the brand is listed as unbranded

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rock Auto has LFR5AIX-11 for $5.17 ea and shipping depends on where you are. Be a big seller of auto parts, much more trustworthy then eBay sellers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
They only need to trace the UPC number on the package for
the supplier. They can actually be traced back through customs
to the country of origin and manufacturer. Also, the package shown
is not the standard packaging for NGK that I've seen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts