Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

Just got a new insight and took it in for maintenance and asked them to check the spark plugs and air filter, which they didn't do... long story. Anyway, the guy told me they are probably fine, but no one actually looked...
It's a 2000 with 50,000 miles. How often do spark plugs and air filters need to be replaced on these?

Thanks and Mele Kalikimaka.....Buttrfly

·
Registered
240 Posts
Edit: my post doesn't make sense anymore!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
These are not your grandad's throw away plugs. They are indexed iridium* type, are quite expensive, and are orientation coded A,B,C,or D. If incorrect plugs are used or the wrong letter or the wrong torque, mileage will suffer slightly. It is best to leave them alone if they are working fine, as they are located under the ignition modules and removing them for inspection could do more harm than good.

*(A heavy brittle metallic element of the platinum group, atomic number 77)

·
Registered
366 Posts
^What he said.

The plugs are expensive and have to be VERY specific. They do not have to be changed for the first 105,000 miles.

Change the air filter when it is dirty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I asked my dealer to replace the plugs at 100,000 miles but they were out of stock, had to be ordered, here's your bill, thank you. So I skipped it completely and the car is running fine on the original plugs with 130,000 miles now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts