Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in for major service on saturday, found out that honda doesn't replace the sparkplugs. I was a bit shocked when I was told that the just regaped them. I was extremely shocked when I was told that it was 200 bucks for them. This seems like dealer gougeing to me. Much like 195 for putting my front brakes on! I was miffed thqt the pads were 60 bucks but I can allways look around and see if I can find them cheaper.
How much should the sparkplugs cost? Do I need a special tools? Is this something I should let my mechanic deal with?
On the plus side the the dealer tells me that my cars pack is going and will replace it as the warranty was just extended. Thanks to Honda for extending the warranty :D

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Unless you went in for the 105K service any spark plug maintenance is premature. Although it may arguably be beneficial to removed them to prevent possible thread seizure with such a long replacement interval.

As for the cost of the part you can look them up on several Honda parts sites. They are mucho deniro compaired to their plain vanilla counterparts, but are lower cost per mile given labor and their 105K service life.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I think I paid about $50 for three spark plugs on an Insight I sold a while back. It had around 90K miles on it and the plugs did make it run quite a bit better. It's not difficult to change them yourself. I don't think a brake job should cost $200.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
plugs

I Replaced my plugs around 177,000. $22.00 per plug. Easy to do.
Even a "caveman" can do it.
Don't overtorque when installing.
Several posts already about plugs on ICN. Keep searching.

Willie

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I purchased 3 new plugs to keep on the shelf. I got them for $13.98 each. So please don't buy any dealer story about $200 to change plugs, that is ridiculous.........

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
Unless you went in for the 105K service any spark plug maintenance is premature.
I agree, most newer cars use 100K plugs these days. There is no need to change them as much, like we did back in the 70's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts