Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went in to have some new 6 1/2" speakers put in my Insight, as well as a new Eclipse CD head unit. (Local car stereo store)

After installing the head unit, they told me that the car will only take 5 1/2" speakers.

I've read several posts that tell of drop-in 6 1/2" speakers. Could someone explain to me why the store is having problems?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow, i came in to the forum today with a speaker question!
the factory spots for rear speakers on my 2001 are tiny. they also point directly at the back of the seats--not the best for sound quality. I'm going to go with two 6x9s in a box mount on the rear deck, so the sound isn't muffled by....well, my butt, really :D
I'll let you know if the battery use affects the sound quality--i'm a little worried about that.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
They are most assuredly 6 1/2" speakers, and no, I can't tell you why your dealer is having a problem. Perhaps the speakers they are trying to sell you won't fit the cradle because the magnets are too big. Here is an old list of speakers that fit:

http://www.insightcentral.net/owners/mods/speakers.html

I had great luck recently with some low-profile Kenwoods that had neodymium permanent magnets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am thinking abou the same idea of a box. Crutchfield has boxes for 6x9 speakers. My concern is how to make them stable in the case I have to stop fast. I don't want them mowing around.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I should not try to type before I have my coffee.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
For completeness, speaker diameters are actually 16cm but the closest imperial size is 6 and a half inches as stated above.

Bug_girl, I am certain there is no room to install speakers within the rear shelf; but were you thinking of sitting them on top behind the ledge?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. I should have spent more time with the installers looking at the problem. I wish I could remember the name of the speakers I finally chose... they were by a German manufacturer... a name I can't quite remember. They had the most balanced spectrum of everything I tried out in the store. I actually looked at the Eclipse (they were my second choice), so maybe I will go with them.

Unfortunately, if the ones I liked don't fit, they don't fit. I don't want to chop up my door, although I'm not adverse to Dremel-ing the grill.

I would love to hear feedback on other speakers people have used. I'm going to lean towards compatible 6 1/2", since all of the fives I tried were pretty sad.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Silver Streaker said:
Bug_girl, I am certain there is no room to install speakers within the rear shelf; but were you thinking of sitting them on top behind the ledge?
Yes, that was the plan. However, i junked the plan :D
I went with replacing the front speakers first, since they clearly were one of the main reasons for poor sound quality. We talked about an amp, and i just didn't want to run stuff off my battery without having time to research how that might affect MPG. And, also, i ran out of money :lol:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
A separate power amp won't affect your MPG. Go for it (assuming you can find the money)!

·
Registered
148 Posts
excellent! Now i just have to figure out where to put an amp. They seem to have gotten much, much larger since the last time i bought a car stereo.
I am very happy with the new speakers, and saved the old factory ones (which are mostly paper :shock: ) to put in the rear slots at a later date, to round out the sound.

·
Registered
166 Posts
6 1/1 do fit. You dont need to squeeze them either..
I put 6 1/2 in my car with no problem.
The stock honda speakers have a excessivly larg metal bracket.

·
Registered
166 Posts
bug_girl said:
excellent! Now i just have to figure out where to put an amp. They seem to have gotten much, much larger since the last time i bought a car stereo.
I am very happy with the new speakers, and saved the old factory ones (which are mostly paper :shock: ) to put in the rear slots at a later date, to round out the sound.
depends on which amp you get. You can mount under driver/passanger seat, or mount it anywhere in the back of the insight. May I suggest if you make it visible to get tint or an alaram, or even both...

Tint - Will not only keep it less visible to people who want to steal it, but it will help it last longer by shielding it from the sun.

Alarm - well of course will protect your investment from being stolen. You may want one with a pager so you know when someone breaks into it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was googling this afternoon for current solutions to the speaker problem, and came across these, http://www.handa-accessories.com/insight.html , (scroll about halfway down) which, since they're coaxial instead of just dual-cone, should sound better and since they're factory speakers, should be easy drop-ins.

Anyone heard these? Do they sound as good or worse than the aftermarket drivers?

Thanks.

Paul[/url]

·
Registered
408 Posts
I haven't heard them but I'm almost sure that any good pair of aftermarket speakers will sound better in the back. Remember the rear speakers should be used as a "fill" for the fronts. Set the fader control on the headunit to the point where you can just hear the rears. They will expand the front's sound. From this, you can tell that the fronts are the speakers you will really want to be good. I have Infinity Kappa 3 ways up front (they don't fit, i had to do some dremeling...or you could also fit something made out of MDF that will extend the speaker out so the huge magnets will fit). The rears are Alpine 2-ways. I power them all through a JVC El Kameleon headunit and yes, they are all 6 1/2 " speakers. I am able to get a nice flat and crisp response with a solid low end - I would never want a sub with my setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts