Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I did a speed test here in the desert of eastern WA. 86 degrees F, elevation 740 feet, relative humidity 14 percent. 2003 5 spd, 46 lbs air in stock tires. I have no front license plate or right side mirror. The car is polished with several coats of wax. I ran both directions to adjust for any possible wind. I carried my Magellan GPS. Top speed indicated was 117 mph (115.1 on GPS) THIS OCCURRED IN THIRD GEAR, at which time some kind of speed limiter activated, cutting out engine power. It was NOT an rpm limiter, but a mph limiter. In 4th gear I could only do 106 mph, in 5th gear only 99 mph; it is obviously short of HP at those lower rpm's.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Billy:

___115.x mph is a bit faster then the speed limited 113 mph many have discussed coming from Honda as well as others running there Insight’s up to the limits. How about winds? Any tail or cross winds to speak of?

___Lastly, what kind of fuel economy did you see on the instantaneous way up there in Autobahn territory ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3epsuwpk][email protected][/email:3epsuwpk]

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Wayne; terrible fuel economy; only around 32 mph while accelerating. I first ran west, then turned around and ran eastbound, in case there was a slope or any winds. The results were identical...

·
Registered
804 Posts
What I want to see is one of these 5-litter monsters getting in a race at over 100 mph, then run out of gas. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Billy, was that top speed maintained with or without IMA assist?

Not many cars could travel over 300 miles at 115 mph without needing a fill-up. The fastest Indy 500 ever had an average speed of about 186 mph.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good question, Tim. I began the test fully charged. During acceleration it was needed lots of assist. Holding top speed (just below threshold of cut-out) required only about 2 bars of assist. I would estimate that after 15 minutes, charge might be depleted and I would need to slow down somewhat. billly.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Insight redline in 3rd gear

The Insight is at redline in 3rd gear at ~ 113-115mph, so I'm not understanding why you're so convinced that it was a speed limiter, and absolutely not a rev limiter that kicked in.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I've had my Insight going 113 (according to the dash) in 5th gear on a down hill once. There was deffinitely more than enough down slope to go much faster given how quickly I was able to go from 80 to 113, but once it hit 113 it backed out on me, would not go any faster. There is deffinitely a speed limiter.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Mitch; In 3rd gear the car was NOT yet at red line at top speed, it had quite a ways to go. But to experiment, I slightly exceeded red line in 2nd gear, and there was no rev limiter. billy......

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've exceeded the redline in second as well. I think that there may still be a rev limiter though, but it might be some ways past the red line on the guage.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The rev limiter is one or two led's in to the red. If I had to guess it would be something like 6200 rpm, but it is there.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Rev limiter is somewhere between 6200 and 6400 RPM.
I use it in the 1st and 2nd runs of most auto slalom races as i'm figuring out when I need 2nd gear on the course.

Remember you need to be at 5700 RPM before the Insight delivers it's full 73 HP (that's 66HP from the gas engine alone).

Trust me she pulls nicely above 5000 RPM :twisted:

·
Registered
89 Posts
rev limiter

I've hit the rev limiter several times in 1st gear on my '00. I thought I was at just 6K rpm. I shift at redline on a regular basis, but have never hit it in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Re: rev limiter

Mitch said:
I've hit the rev limiter several times in 1st gear on my '00. I thought I was at just 6K rpm. I shift at redline on a regular basis, but have never hit it in 2nd gear.
How does staying in 1st, then shifting to 5th at freeway speed work? :D

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi mitch, you shift at red line on a regular basis? You've got to be kidding? Are you always in a big hurry; what is your lifetime MPG? Just wondering, Billy......

·
Registered
89 Posts
redline

Honda makes the best engines in the world. You can rev them to redline all day long, every day, and they'll last a very long time. Fellow CRX owners have reported doing such for over 200K miles. I'm not kidding about my driving habits, and have no reason do to so. I'm not always in a big hurry. It just makes alot of sense to keep up with the flow of traffic, and to keep those carbon deposits from building up. My lifetime mpg is ~51.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Those CRX engines are tough. Mine still runs like new. sadly the body isn't alumunum. You might want to use 0W30 synthetic if you drive the Insight like that. Just to be safe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
synthetic oil in my Insight

B1shmu63, I agree with your oil recomendation, and have been using 0W-30 synthetic in my Insight since it had the first oil change at 5,500 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts