Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into 2000 Honda Insight a few weeks ago and half the instrument panel displays were blank. (Speedometer, Odeometer, IMA charging, IMA discharging, gas gauge) plus the low fuel light (picture of gas pump) came on even though tank was full. Also my normal beeps when driver's door is open with key in ignition. My IMA light's been on since 140,000 (it's now about 190,000). Checked all fuses with ohm meter and all were ok. I figure it's probably not the electrical because when I turn the key on all these gauges come up to 100% and quickly back to zero. I think this is the normal power on sequence. Any body have any ideas? thanks, Phil

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Bad connection at the gauge or on the gauge pcb.
Remove it and un-plug re-plug the connectors at the back of it.
Possibly a blown fuse you have missed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gauges on honda insight

When I turn on the key all the gauges quickly go full display and back to nothing. It seems they are getting power to me. Noticed a strange thing when looking around under hood. The two wires that come from a group of wires on the right side that go to the right wheel sensor were disconnected at the right wheel speed sensor plug. Actually one was completely missing coming from the group of wires coming from the front of the car and the other wire when I touched it instantly broke off where it exited from the wiring cluster. Seems almost like it had become brittle perhaps from too much heat. I spliced in a couple of new wires but it didn't make any difference. As far as removing connectors on back of gauge assembly it seems like more than I could do (instructions shows removing steering wheel and steering column and some other things before I can get to it). My feeling is since the actual lights all come on when turning the key for a brief second it must be getting power but some sensor is not sending the right signal. Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
82 Posts
No!!!

Don't pull the gauge!!!! I went thru the exact same thing and a month of doing everything. Under the dash, the fuse panel it's fuse 14 or 16. No matter what the fuses look like or test out as, Clean the contacts on the panel and REPLACE the fuse with a new one. I did that and fixed the problem on the spot. I then pulled each fuse, cleaned and replaced. A guy on here told me that was the problem after so many told me other things. Try it first. I went to an auto electrician and a marine electrician. They both said that its rare but they have run across it before. An old fuse may look and test good, it will hold voltage but not amps. Worth a try and an easy solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found bad wires

Under the hood on the passenger side are two wires that branch out of an enclosed wire cluster and go to a connector. From the connector they go down into the engine. One wire was missing from where it was exposed after coming out of the wiring harness and into a 2-wire connector. The other wire broke off at both ends as soon as I barely touched it. I found out these are going to the left-front wheel speed sensor. I spliced new wires where the old ones broke out but didn't make any difference. Is there any way to determine if these wires are getting a signal from the wheel sensor (voltage, continuity)? I did find where some animal was chewing on the under the hood insulation at the front-underneath and in the middle. It's 3 or 4 square inches approximately in size and you can see the teeth marks. Possibly the same animal chewed on the exposed wiring. If the computer isn't getting signals from the wheel speed sensors I would think that might cause the speedometer/odometer to stop. Not sure why the gas gauge warning light would come on even though it's full of gas. Any help anyone?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tested fuses, cleaned terminals

I double checked all fuses, filed contacts, ran a small file on fuse terminal contacts. Since all the lights on the dash light up when ignition is turned on for a brief second, seems to me it probably isn't a fuse problem... but I'm not an expert and could be wrong

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,681 Posts
Please include your Location in your profile/details please.

Sounds like the old "Varmint short".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your gauges are getting power, but how much power? When my 12 volt battery went bad and was only producing 9 volts, the gauges flickered, half the gauges wouldn't work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Like I said in my post, replace the fuses!! Don't use the old ones. If I remember it either 14 or 16. My fuse was clean and I cleaned it also, but it wasn't until I replaced the fuse when EVERYTHING came back on. Dude, I worked on mine for a month, believe me everyone had advise but ozone guy told me this and that's what it was. My dash lit up but nothing happened, no speed or anything! I replaced so much that it was unreal. Maybe it's not the fuse, but replace!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts