Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This only happens occasionally on my 2010.

Sometimes (happens more when I'm on an upward incline, but not always) when I step on the accelerator, it feels spongy and the car seems like it's struggling a bit before something clicks and then it accelerates quickly. Particularly troubling when I'm trying to get uphill.

What can I check for this?

Also, driving from LA to SF soon. What checks should I do on it before I take the trip?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
How many miles on it? Up to date on maintenance? Done more than the recommended CVT fluid changes? Have you had the software updates?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
102,000; I didn't do the 100k maintenance because the dealership was charging me an arm and a leg; not sure about CVT fluid change; yes, got the software updates.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
It sounds like you aren't very big on maintenance. It's VERY important that you change the CVT fluid regularly and use ONLY Honda CVT fluid. I'm not sure about the G2, but us G1 guys like to change it every other oil change. Since you're "not sure" you should do it immediately.

If you haven't done spark plugs they are overdue too.

Search this forum for recommendations. You might be ready for transmission filters, too. You can probably find an independent Honda shop that will charge less than the dealer.

You can ignore this stuff and replace your car prematurely or you can do what's needed and let it live a long happy life. Your choice.

Sam

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! It's my first car and I don't know much about all this stuff so it's not me being intentionally negligent!

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
The best Insight technician in the world is at Jue Motors in Covina. I recommend taking your car to him for necessary maintenance and a general once-over. His name is Scott Kulbeck and the best way to reach him is 909-605-3810. He'll treat you right.

Sam

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
While I wouldn't say the spark plugs are overdue, they are due, that's the reason the dealer wanted so much for the service. There are 8 of them and the dealer will want full retail for them. That is over $25.00 each! They are available for about $12-14 each other places. In the old days they were much cheaper, but had to be replaced every 30,000 miles.

Because you are taking a trip so soon, I might forgo the plugs (but start saving up to do them asap) but do have the trans fluid changed. Also if you still have the original 12 volt battery under the hood, change that right away. For some reason we all do not fully understand, a weak one can make an Insight do weird things.

How long have you had this Insight? The CVT has a rubber band like feel to it that takes some getting used to. Also, when climbing hills, what does the IMA charge/use indicator say? If it does not seem to be using the IMA battery when climbing hills, you may have some other issue. But from what I remember, the software updates seemed to address that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Get on the CVT fluid change ASAP. It's actually NOT hard to do yourself with some basic tools and a funnel, and is less involved than a regular oil change. It's nice to have ramps tho or jack it up.

The underpinning has a special cover just for the CVT fluid drain plug. So it's like, 4 screws or buttons and you're there. It's double at least and a much larger cover to get access to the oil plug and oil filter (still not all that involved).

The manual for the Insight says one thing whereas the chief engineer of the Insight says another, if I remember correctly he said or 35k or 45k KILOMETERS was too long for a CVT fluid change. So every other oil change is good maintenance, as seems to be the case for any Honda with a CVT to be honest. If you've been consistent from the get-go with no maintenance lag, I would alternate every 2nd and 3rd oil change and never had a problem in 180k miles. In your case, I would get on the every other oil change plan for a while.

Don't bother with the spark plugs unless you "just have" to do it. They still look good even at 200k miles according to a couple different reports on here, and I had my 2nd Gen up to 180k miles and it never affected MPG nor performance that I could tell. They'll probably go over 200k, I was planning on doing it at 200k just to say I had.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Every other trans fluid change applies to all Honda automatics, not just the CVT.
Honda mechanics have been doing that with their own cars forever.

Thanks for the heads up about the plugs Zwolfe, our 2010 is just hitting the 100k mark and skipping the plugs would really help around here moneywise right now. My wife has never used anything but TopTier fuel, so hers may make 200k easily as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, all! Will get the CVT changed this week :)

As for climbing the hill, I never noticed if it uses the battery. Will check it out. But I've noticed that it struggles A LOT so I end up turning off econ to climb hills.

My MPG hovers at 38-41, which seems crappy. I have a bike rack. There's lots of hills and traffic on my commute (San Fernando Valley to LA).

I bought the car at 98k miles and it's at 103k now. Had it for about 9 months now.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Thanks, all! Will get the CVT changed this week :)

As for climbing the hill, I never noticed if it uses the battery. Will check it out. But I've noticed that it struggles A LOT so I end up turning off econ to climb hills.

My MPG hovers at 38-41, which seems crappy. I have a bike rack. There's lots of hills and traffic on my commute (San Fernando Valley to LA).

I bought the car at 98k miles and it's at 103k now. Had it for about 9 months now.
Given the description of the terrain and driving conditions, your mileage is pretty good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A mechanic near me says around $90 for CVT change. Does that sound about right to everyone? I had no idea it cost that much!

Given the description of the terrain and driving conditions, your mileage is pretty good.
Okay this is good to know. I changed the engine filter myself and thought I'd see gains but I guess not.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Full retail for the fluid is over $10.00 a quart. The realistic price, found with a little searching is about $8.00. On top of that one should use a fresh crush washer on the drain plug. That plug should be torqued to spec. There is also an inline filter that some folks around here like to change. So it depends on how much you are willing to pay for competence.
I just looked at the invoice from our dealer, it was $110. Over $10. For the fluid, a crush washer, CA hazmat fees, tax on parts & $65. Labor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
egads
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing