Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I was cleaning and waxing my '03 Blue Insight, and when I was waxing my hood, I noticed some oddities with it that I didn't see elsewhere on the vehicle.

1) The paint, under the clear coat (all original) had very faint spotting, almost as if there were waterspots or something (to be certain, I re-washed the hood, and dried it thoroughly. The spots remain. It's only on the paint on the hood, and not anywhere else on the vehicle.

2) After applying a coat of wax (which looks great, even on the hood), the rest of the car is silky-smooth to the touch, but when one runs one's hand across the hood, it has a different feel to it...not "rough", so to speak, but definitely not the glass-like smoothness.

I'm wondering if the two issues may be related.

Note, the spots are only visible if one is very close to the vehicle, and looking for them specifically...the only reason I saw them was because I was looking at the gloss from all different angles to see if all the wax had been buffed in. They cannot be seen when standing around the car, looking at it.

The spots are each about the size of a US dime, though some are smaller.

I'm not worried about this affecting the look of the vehicle, because it doesn't make a difference. I'm just very curious about what could have caused this, and what if anything I can do about Issue #2 (apply more wax?) -- I doubt I can do anything about #1, except take it into the dealer, and see if they'll replace the hood under warranty.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Do you have a digital camera? If so snap us a picture of this if you can. I'm curious as to what this is now. If it is under the clear coat, which is kinda hard to tell with such thin paint, it almost sounds like a fish eye or some sort of contaminant that got on the hood while it was being painted. If it's on the surface I'd say maybe some sort of bonded contaminant or etching maybe. I'd try to see if it could be clay barred off it it's on the surface. The other possibility would be to try buffing it out if it's on the surface, but I hate to try that on such thin paint.

Now, if you take it to the dealership be very very careful. Likely they will just repain the hood in their body shop. The problem with this is you have that pearlessence metallic paint which is near impossible to properly match. I sware in my experience you could take a can of it, spray something in the morning, then spray something out of the same can that night and they wouldn't match. Frankly if it's not that noticable you might be better off just letting it be. A trained eye will catch that repainted hood and they will think it was in an accident.

See if ya can get a picture of this, all of the above are just possibilities.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...when my sister backed into my Insight with her 1995 Buick Park Avenue, the entire left rear quarter-panel had to be replaced, and the new panel painted. I can't tell the difference between the new panel's paint and the old (well, not *REALLY* old...let's just say original) paint on the rest of the car. If the dealer will strip all the current paint, and then re-paint and re-clearcoat the hood, all under warranty, I'll be a happy camper.

Otherwise, if all that needs to be done to get rid of the slightly less-smooth texture is to add a few more coats of wax, I'm all for that. The spots aren't really an issue...I'm just interested from a technical point-of view. :)

I just took three digital photos, two with flash (stupid auto-flash), and one without. For some reason, the spots don't show in any of the photos...maybe it was with the indoor lighting. I'll try again tomorrow in sunlight, though I doubt the camera will find anything.

My main concern now is the slightly rough feel to the hood. I'll re-wax it tomorrow, and see if that smooths it out any...though the rest of the car got glass-like with one application. Speaking of which, if anyone has any particular tips for an amateur at car waxing (but an expert at boot polishing, thanks to the Army -- I suspect the two are quite similar in methodology), I'd love to hear it. :)[/url]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts