Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was in a very minor accident this weekend with my 2010 insight. Aside from one scuff on the front bumper, there's no visible damage. However, after the accident the SRS system was rendered disabled-the air bag light came on and the drivers side seatbelt stopped working correctly making the car unsafe and illegal to drive.

Has this happened to anyone else? I took the car to the dealer this morning and am waiting for the inevitable bad news.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Welcome aboard. :)

Glad to hear you are ok. So the air bags did not go off? The seat belts have a gizmo that retracts the belt a few inches to help snug it up to keep you from slipping under the steering wheel or dash depending on the side you are sitting on. It may of setoff that and the belt gizmo needs replacing.

·
Super Moderator
2,047 Posts
Also will need a restraints control module.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, they didn't deploy. I was going less than 5 mph at impact. It was very minor.

I'm just upset that the car responded this way after such a minor incident.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Well, previously when air bags first came out a runaway shopping cart in a parking lot could cause them to deploy. Cars have been designed to work better and make a judgement call based on the sensors in the front and the yaw detector on what to do. Other cases in head on accidents if its only the driver the car will trip all the air bags and all the seat belt tensioners.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Seat belt pre-tensioners are one of the safety features that help vehicles get better crash ratings. The public wants such features. So do insurance companies. If you have a failure related to an accident it is a claimable item. If you do not want modern safety features you will have to drive old cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts