Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone here asked if anyone had tried replacing the Dzus bolts for the skirts with quarter-turn wing bolts[1]...

"Great idea!" I mis-understood, without considering "clearance" for the wings... :^p

Well, I got some, and ended up having to bend one wing nearly ninety degrees to be able to turn it after insertion.

So don't do this. Instead, if you think SS Dzus replacements from Southco are just the ticket, I'm recommending these:
Dzus® Lion Quarter-Turn Stud, Large Size, Slotted Recess, Stainless Steel Passivated [slotted pan-head]
Dzus® Lion Quarter-Turn Receptacle, Large Size, Stainless Steel Passivated [receptacle]

Let me say the receptacles went on quite easily. The rear ones slide on, up from the bottom. The front ones slide on from the top, but from the back of the hole. You can use a small flat-blade screwdriver to help it open.

As I said, when I went to put the new wing bolts[1] in, there wasn't enough clearance in the recess to complete the quarter-turn; I had to bend one of the ears over nearly ninety degrees to get it in, now with pliers because of the deformation. I went ahead and made them all the same, although the front ones have the least amount of room.

Now I'll be carrying pliers to take off the skirt fasteners, instead of the screw-driver for the originals, or diagonal cutters for zip ties. (Of course even virgin wing nuts weren't going to come off by finger pressure, at 10 above zero, covered in road grime.)

No matter how many times I face the reality of it, I have not yet internalized Howe's Law[2].
--
BM

[1] So you're going to do it anyway, huh? Okay, here's some rope...
Dzus® Lion Quarter-Turn Stud, Large Size, Wing, Stainless Steel Passivated [The wing-bolt-you-should-not-buy.]
[2] Howe's Law: Every man has a scheme that will not work.
I first heard it as "Deep within the heart of every man, there is a scheme... ...which Will Not Work!"
Later I learned of corollaries: 1. There may well be more than one. 2. The trait appears to be sex-linked.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've had dzus wing bolts on my Insight for probably 8 years now, and they work great. The ones I got have smaller "wings" which clear, but are still large enough that you can easily turn them by hand. Not sure where you'd get them anymore though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had dzus wing bolts on my Insight for probably 8 years now, and they work great. The ones I got have smaller "wings" which clear, but are still large enough that you can easily turn them by hand. Not sure where you'd get them anymore though.
I'm not asking you to remember part numbers back 8 years, but if you could that would be dandy!

I wonder however if you might recall where you obtained the fasteners.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts