Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I know the insight uses the IMA motor as a starter in warmer weather and falls back to a back up starter motor in colder weather.

I also already know that the IMA motor provides Alternator like functions while the engine is running.

Why question is how these interact???

Does the Backup Starter not spin at all during driving or does it also act as a alternator during driving???

one of the reasons I am wondering the above is there have been a few times I have found on line Electric Turbos ... basicly a modified type of alternator that can also add power to the engine from a small bank of batteries...

I know there is a connection difference in the insight between the back-up starter and the IMA but am wondering how the connection is made or disconnected as needed?

Depending on how the connection is made and disconnected it might be possible to add a electric turbo to the insight to allow it to help push the normal motor functions along... this could be used for either increased MPG or just more Power depending on the setup and if additional batteries are added to the insight.... it should also be stackable with the turbo kits that have been put into insights.... and it should be stackable with the MIMA being developed as well.

Just my mind wondering about possibilities is all....

And wondering if those of you out there that know more than I do might be able to answer the question about how the backup starter connects or disconnects from the IMA.... or does it spin while drivining???

thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Good thinking Ian but,

The "back-up" starter is a standard type automotive starter with a huge gear ratio reduction and a solenoid to physically engage the drive gear _only_ when cranking. The ratio it too high to allow RPM's much above cranking without destroying the starter.

The IMA has no physical connection to the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) only magnetic. The amount of charge or assist it takes or gives is simply dependent on the proportion and _direction_ of current flow in its windings. Read: easily electronically controlled. In general the back-up starter is only there for times that the IMA batteries aren't in a "happy" enough place to provide the high current surge for the IMA motor to function as the starter. Its then that the 12v under hood battery has its work cut out for it to provide the necessary current to start the car.

The IMA alternator function is simply a small "charge" (as would, but isn't shown on the IMA gague) current flow that is diverted to the DC-DC converter for reduction from 144v :arrow: 12v.

HTH! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts