Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago the car was been dead when my wife went out to start it.
I put the charger on it and it instantly powered up , started and the battery indicated full charge on the meter.
She drove off and it operated fine the rest of the day.
This evening, same thing happened, although this time as soon as the charger was removed, the electrics died even though the battery indicated it was fully charged.
It is too late for diagnostics tonight. Any advice as to an orderly method to investigate this?

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Your 12v battery is toast. It won't take or hold a charge. As soon as it gets a load on it, it fails. Time for a replacement.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The 12volt underhood battery lasts about three years if you are lucky. We don’t know what year your Insight is, but I also vote for a new one. The meter means nothing, only a load test will show the batteries health.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Good, you would not believe what weirdness a weak 12 volt battery will have in an Insight! There are some theories about why that battery fares so poorly in our Insights, do some reading if interested.
I have never heard the starter operate in the last 7 years and 120,000 miles. But an Insight will not start without a 12 volt battery. That operates all the electronics, including the ones controlling the IMA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts