Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I just got my new 2006 Insight the weekend before Christmas. I may have a potential problem brewing. The car is having intermittent problems starting, which just started happening about a week ago. Supposedly, the only requirement to start the engine is to push the clutch in to activate the clutch start switch. Well, this does not always work. Sometimes I have to push it in multiple times, remove the key and start over, and eventually it kicks in and starts. I don't think it is battery related, but I could be mistaken. Could it be that the clutch starter switch needs adjustment?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
That would be the first thing I would check. Easy to check in general. Just pull the connector and jumper the connector leads together. I don't remember offhand if the car wants the switch closed or open to start, so try it both ways. It should start consistantly one way and not the other way. If I remember I'll look it up in the service manual at lunch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a new 2006 as well and I've noticed it's reluctant to start out of autostop. sometimes I have to double clutch or lean heavily on the gas, and other times I can just pop it into gear and the engine will start right up. of course, I haven't had any situation where I have to take the key out, but I'm worried that at some point I won't be able to get the engine on at a stop light. NJ drivers aren't known for their patience!

If you find anything regarding the clutch switch, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
jdpenn & kari, one possibility (and this happened to me) is that the floor mat could have got rucked up underneath the clutch pedal preventing the clutch pedal going all the way down and not allowing the switch to disengage. If the clutch is not all the way down, the engine will not start!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Citrus Smoothie,

I think you may have solved my problem. I did buy new rubber floormats and put them on top of the Insight mats. This morning on my way to work, I noticed that the rubber floor mat was half way up the fire wall, so I pulled it back down. I did not make the connection between the floor mat and the clutch starter switch. I'll check it out after work today. Hopefully, that is the problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
that might be the case - I shifted my mats (the honda dealership, weirdly, didn't even try to sell me mats so I've got older ones from another car in there now) a little and will keep track of it to see if it's working. Last night it was going pretty well!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Fixed

Citrus Smoothie,

The floormat was the problem. I have not had any starting problems since pulling it down. You wouldn't think that an inch or two would matter for the clutch switch. It must have to be floored to kick in. I'm glad I didn't take it to the dealer for warranty service. Don't know if pulling the floor mat down would have been covered. :lol:

Thanks Again!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Re: Problem Fixed

jdpenn said:
Citrus Smoothie, The floormat was the problem. I have not had any starting problems since pulling it down. Thanks Again!
Glad I could share my knowledge and help out :) That makes a nice change :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts