Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I have ever had an issue. I was on my way to work this morning and came to my first stop light and my Insight auto stopped as it does, then when the light turned green… I did not go. I shifted to park and back to drive and still didn’t work. Turned the key and instead of using the battery it used the starter and just cranked and cranked. After a few times of turning it off and on it started up again. I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue before, my thought is possibly fuel pump, what do you all think?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,041 Posts
Check the IMA battery. Sounds like it is reality low. Take a LONG drive to get it back up on the capacity. (Try not to use the IMA when driving for a while. Charge the IMA battery if you have a charger. IMO

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to check when I get home on the 12v but I put in a brand new one a year ago when the one I had was acting up and dying. Different set of symptoms.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,041 Posts
Don't forget, when turning to start....Hold in start for a few seconds for the 12V to energize. (Not momentary)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah I sat at that stop light for a while cranking...and praying lol. I have been wanting to change out the fuel filter since I got that car, but I guess this is more than enough of an excuse to check the filter and pump

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Fuel issue doesn't strike me as being the likely problem. I can't remember the few things that cause the car not to start in auto stop, and then not starting off 12V starter. If you had a manual trans, I'd say check the clutch switch above the clutch pedal, see if it's broken. But sounds like you have a CVT...

Not re-starting from auto-stop might be one problem; not starting off 12V starter might be another. The first probably an IMA pack issue, maybe 12V grounds (check grounds left hand side/under air box, 12V battery ground). The second maybe the grounds, maybe weak 12V battery, maybe something else...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,041 Posts
Ground straps are here:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only have my ima light on. With me being able to crank it consistently with no issue my 12v is good, and it switching to the starter instead of the hybrid start I’m thinking it is fuel or spark

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Well, in general, yeah, the not-starting from auto-stop with IMA is one issue, and the not starting on 12V is another - you should be able to have 12V starting when the IMA fails. Sounds like your 12V battery, grounds and all that are fine...

I think I'd turn the IMA pack switch OFF, reset 'the system' with a 12V neg cable pull, and then troubleshoot the 'not starting with 12V starter' problem separately, more or less like you would with any normal non-hybrid. Before I did the reset I'd blink the trouble codes and find out what the IMA light is for, though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s exactly what I was thinking of doing. A good restart and seeing if I can replicate it with it off. I also want to check and see if I can hear my pump running or making noise it shouldn’t when the ignition is turned

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
Crack the 17mm cap nut loose on the fuel line at the fuel rail on the head. If you’ve tried to crank it there will be pressure and spirt fuel or disconnect the line and rotate the key you should get a large amount of fuel. Don’t drop the banjo washer, it’s very important.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Crack the 17mm cap nut loose on the fuel line at the fuel rail on the head. If you’ve tried to crank it there will be pressure and spirt fuel or disconnect the line and rotate the key you should get a large amount of fuel. Don’t drop the banjo washer, it’s very important.
This is great if I can get it to be replicated, I just have to take a look and figure out where it is at. If I can't replicate it, I think a fuel pressure test would be a great answer for the fuel question

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.