Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
10,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has suffered quite a few issues since it was sold by the founder from under members noses to Autoguide several years ago now. :(

The most annoying things IMHO are the slow performance, naff layout and plethora of annoying and intrusive adverts.

There is nothing to stop us setting up our own forum, and I have a few observations to make.

1) I previously thought we should remain here due to the huge wealth of knowledge that has accumulated over the years. I'm open to change now and perhaps the time is right to set up our own forum? The info here can still be linked from any new site.

2) If we set up a new forum I'm happy to be a member, but am not offering to organise, host or administer it.

3) I think we should go for a basic setup but with good antispam and regsistering security.

4) I don't want adverts of any kind and would be happy to pay say $5-10 a year for access.

5) I would prefer any new forum to be co-owned and administered by at least three long standing members.
Any disputes that arise can then be settled via a simple majority vote.

6) I quite like the sections and subforums we have at present but would like to expand it so that each Honda Hybrid model has it's own set of four subforums like the G1 & G2 Insight.

Just my two penneth.

·
Administrator
10,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt we could afford it and the technical challenge to export all the data to a new sleek no advert code base system might be quite formidable. That's if autoguide would export it for us in the first place. I think basically we would end up starting from scratch.

·
Super Moderator
7,290 Posts
I'm for sticking with the current situation - bad as it is. I fear that Autoguide would find a way to deny prior content.

Wouldn't porting just result in porting the ads also?

Much of the ad problems can be resolved by signing up for a lifetime membership. It is $50 or $16.65/year for 3 years - not really all that great. I see no adds on my IC screen.

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
6) I quite like the sections and subforums we have at present but would like to expand it so that each Honda Hybrid model has it's own set of four subforums like the G1 & G2 Insight.
Could you sell that idea to the current owners? It might be easier to bring the current layout up to date and increase its relevance to new car owners...and be perceived as providing a solution rather than a problem.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I am in and will help out either way. :)

I use to run a website on featureprice. It was a lot of technical hassles and ultimately I lost my domain name when they went out of business and a few months of hosting service. I basically paid 50 bucks a year, delt with the headaches and got checks in the mail for 400 bucks in ad revenue. :) Sometimes it wasnt worth the headaches and countless technical problems that were a combination of a poor hosting company and someone who was new to the gerne. :|

PS, I only had 2 ads per page and they were text ads too. :p

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I miss the old newsgroups, you know alt.bin.honda.hybrids.insight.blah.blah. blah :).

I am sure the info can be copied, linked, etc. Its just a matter of who "owns" the content at this point. :D

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I dont really see any problems with the current site. But then again, I browse using adblocker plugin, which can be had to firefox, chrome etc.. I experience zero ads, the site is super fast all around, and I really dont have any complaints with the organization of the content.

But, yes when I am using the site on another computer which doesnt have a adblocker, its almost unusable.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Same. Content blocker is blocking 7 different servers right now.

Disabling it makes everything pathetically slow to use.

It could also be a slightly broader forum, something like "The Honda IMA forum" or something.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I need to do that then. Thats a reason I seem to come n go. My own pc is too slow, a page takes 5 minutes and in many cases never loads beyond the top banner ad, not to mention the other 3, the google adsense and the ebay one. :confused:.

I used my ipod touch 4 for a while with the app I paid 5 bucks for that strips the ads out, but I lost my bluetooth keyboard a few months ago too. :D

I wish I could speak to the owner or manager of this site, a few changes and he or she could still roll in the dough and have happy customers. :roll:

FYI, I had to cancel my myspace account where my photos were housed as a visit to that site gave me a pop up/fake computer problem scam that said I had a virus and needed to scan it, close some windows and spend 60 bucks to fix it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am for anything you guys set up just let us all know what the feeling of everyone is??? I will support ya!

·
Registered
894 Posts
You won't be successful if you charged an admission fee. I would pay the fee, but others likely wouldn't. I'd do as I did mine, the forum i started has 5,800 members and over 300,000 posts, no banner ads or admission fees. you can get sponsorships from various insight specialty parts vendors, or donations from members. it's really a public service

·
6,934 Posts
This is just a vBulletin board. Porting things and removing advertisements would be trivial.

Also, as much as I like the idea, I don't think no advertisements is going to happen. Paying for access is a nice thought, but would be a nail in the coffin for a new start up forum, IMO.

Advertising can be done right, it shouldn't slow the site down and be obnoxious.

It takes a long time to build a user base and knowledge base.. it can't be underestimated how important this is. It could literally take years to build the user base and knowledge base required to get a new forum up in the Google ranks so people find it and begin posting organically.

I think buying this site back is much more likely to give the results wanted, but I'm sure would be prohibitively expensive. I would assume that any sale include all prior content though, and again porting wouldn't even be necessary - vBulletin is pretty much the defacto standard forum software these days, it would be fine to stick with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,290 Posts
I pretty much agree with Eli. Though in theory we could start or own site, the problems are numerous and difficult. "Breaking the mold" we are current in, and then recasting something different, would be very difficult and it would be dependent on one or two volunteers who would grow tired, grow old, or sell out all over again. Migration of the user base would be darn near impossible. Perhaps some view Autoguide as bad, but it could be a lot worse.

Frankly, except for the occasionally slow site speed, I don't have a lot of problems with the current setup. There are several measures which help stop the adds. First, and I said this before, if you are anxious to pay up to have better performance, then become a "lifetime" member of the service. It is only $50 or $16.65/year for 3 years if you mentally prorate it. Surely anyone who can afford even one car can afford $50. (Note that I have no commercial interest in the site.) This measure alone has stopped 95% of the adds from the Autoguide server. We live in a commercial world. Everyone has to get paid or vanish. Eli gets paid, Mike gets paid, Autoguide gets paid. If you don't pay them with a "membership" then they have to get their money some other way or they vanish.

Second, if you don't want to join, then use one of the ad blockers. I can't speak from direct experience, but many folks swear by them.

Third, sites such as eBay must now offer everyone an opportunity to "opt out" of their ads. Go to the bottom of the page and click unsubscribe or if you are registered, go to preferences and "opt out."

Lets stick with what we have and try to improve it a bit. It ain't perfect, but nothing is in the modern world - maybe never was;)

JimE

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Get a good Ad blocker for your browser. I see no ads and the site loads within about 5 seconds which is about the same as most other sites on my slow internet connection. Things might be slower due to your location too which might not be resolved with a new site if it is also based in the US.

We seem to be doing a good job at moderating the spam soon after it comes in. If you need another hand with it, I've offered in the past and am willing to help again and I'm usually logged in to see it when it is fresh when no other mods are on such as very early morning in the US.

I don't think many would pay for access because we are still going to have accounts and discussions here and I think it would be a PITA to use two forums for one purpose.

At this point the only thing I wish I could see on this site would be an active topics button that shows just the 1st Gen threads. I'm sure the 2nd Gen folks feel the same about their content.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you wanted a forum to loads faster, (I spend half of my time here waiting for a page to load) layout is important,here it's very poor. And the servers are working overtime for nothing, Click On a new comment it take you to the first page, and you have to click again to get to the last page. Unless it has certain amount of pages it doesn't number the pages to short cut to the last pages. In my day trader forum they get around this the opposite way, the newest post is on the first page. So then the advertisement is no problem added more. it's loads very fast, as half the traffic load is eliminated in one click destination.

·
Super Moderator
7,290 Posts
If you wanted a forum to loads faster, (I spend half of my time here waiting for a page to load) layout is important,here it's very poor. And the servers are working overtime for nothing, Click On a new comment it take you to the first page, and you have to click again to get to the last page. Unless it has certain amount of pages it doesn't number the pages to short cut to the last pages. In my day trader forum they get around this the opposite way, the newest post is on the first page. So then the advertisement is no problem added more. it's loads very fast, as half the traffic load is eliminated in one click destination.
You can get to the last page directly by simply clicking on the little right arrow in the bottom right of the thread name. This one is just a matter of learning how to use the site features.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.