Honda Insight Forum banner

Starts w/o IMA - then with IMA, does not charge. P1570, P1446, 58 (low charge code).

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jackmpg 
#1 ·
This one has me bugged. Could be BCM, MCM or the DC/AC converter? Tried disconnecting fuse #18, no avail. Does not charge car battery or seem to charge IMA. It just started this, out of the blue. Guess I've been away from this car too long. Any idea's, I'm all ears. Jack

#2 ·
Welcome back Jack. I was by your house around two years ago but you were not home.
When was the last time you drove the vehicle? Need more info.
Willie

#3 ·
Hello Willie, long time no here. Hope all is well.
It mostly sits in the garage, I take her out every few weeks. When I started her this morning the engine started ok. But no charging from the DC converter, and no charging to the IMA-I think. Got a P1570-66(Batt Module Individual Volt Input Prob), a P1446-74(Batt Module Individual Volt Deviation) and a 58 which I think is a low charge code. I can charge the batt with a regular charger but the DC converter doesn't do anything. What do you think. Jack

#5 ·
It mostly sits in the garage, I take her out every few weeks.
This is your problem.
You have old/dying cells or sticks with very high self discharge that do not like sitting.
So every time you go back to the car the IMA is hopelessly out of balance.

I suggest build/buy a charger/discharger and do some proper very low IMA pack voltage cycling.
Charge it for 30 hrs then take it slowly right down to zero volts and hold it there for a good few hours.
Repeat twice then finally charge 30hrs and see how it goes.
If it doesn't recover then....

1) Pull the pack and try and find the bad sticks and replace. (This will be annoying and unlikely to give good long term results unless you get lucky)
2) Buy a new set of sticks from one of the respected battery vendors and fit them.
3) Disable/remove the IMA and go IMAless
4) Buy some Lithium LTO packs and join the Lithium club.
Lithium doesn't suffer from self discharge problems and will be ok left standing for weeks.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.