Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife bought a 2010 Insight. She asked about the tightness in the steering and was told it would loosen-up after it is driven for a few thousand km. After it didn't they did an alignment with no change. Then they replaced the rack and still no improvement. Then was told it is normal for the electric steering as the one at the dealer is the same. We had several people drive the car and they all said it was the worst handling car they ever drove. You can turn the wheel off center about a 1/8 of a turn wile driving and it will stay there. It drives like an old 72 ford truck I had with slightly siezed kingbins. Has anyone had the same trouble.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,695 Posts
Do you mean while moving or siting still? After going around a curve or what. I'm confused.

Willie

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'd have called the steering 'light and responsive'. Sounds like something is wrong. Could you get a test drive at another dealer in an Insight to compare?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have heard and read about other people complaining about the steering but I don't seem to have those problems. The majority of my driving is freeway driving and the only time I notice that I have to make a lot of steering corrections is when it is windy. On a calm day I can hold one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and my car goes straight down the road. What I don't like about the steering though is that it has less "feel" than other cars I have driven. My 300 C is a heavy car and I can "feel" that in the steering wheel. I can also feel that the Chrysler gives me a lot of feedback through the wheel when I am pushing it around a curve. I don't get that feeling with the Insight when I am pushing (as much as an Insight can be pushed) it around a curve or on on ramp. I notice instant response not 1/8 of a turn before anything happens. I think something might be wrong with your car.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I may be imagining it but I sometimes think that the Insight has a little more steering feel in 'S' mode.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I essentially reiterate what mank said.

I read this thread and went out to town so I paid close attention to the steering of my I2.

If I pretty much bump the steering wheel it'll want to go in the direction that the wheel was bumped toward. lol

It'd venture to say it's a lot more sensitive than my other automobiles in my sig.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't want to try to speak for the OP, but I don't think the issue he is describing would be characterized as a lack of "responsiveness". It sounds like he's expecting the steering wheel to "re-center" itself after a slight adjustment/turn (I guess up to 1/8th of a turn?). Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I've noticed a similar feeling in my car but I wouldn't say the wheel stays in place up to 1/8th of a turn off...just my observation, though.

As far as responsiveness goes, I only drive this car on a regular basis, but from time to time I get to drive my brothers' cars and between them, the Insight sits squarely in the middle. The Saab 9-2X (basically a rebadged WRX) has tighter and more responsive steering. The Hyundai Azera has much looser steering and it seems like you can make relatively big movements in the wheel without much of a response. But again, I don't think that is the issue here...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Tires might make a big difference with this. Members here report a marked improvement with better, wider tires.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Toe the front wheels together it will self center every time. It will wear the tires or feather them, but it will self center. :D

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think Insight has excellent steering feedback. Or at least mine does? Perhaps I'm just too used to crap steering (?) on my family's 97 Camry and Mazda 626 that I don't feel OP's problem. I have no trouble on highways, I don't have to make constant adjustments but do have to keep my hands on the wheel. I can more easily toss my Insight around corners than the 2 cars mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,695 Posts
And we still don't know if he is moving or setting still.

Willie

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Looks like this is a unique problem to one insight. Anyway you can test drive another one?

Anyway the passenger could film a video of it?

The insight has a feel of a big car, however I have had no problems. I hate the fact if you go to steer it lock to lock sometimes you can steer faster than it is willing to assist you.

It wont auto center, but a good press of the throttle can fix that.

Of course my alignment is zero toe and -3 on camber with 50psi in the tires. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It doesn't take an 1/8 of a turn before it responds.If anything it is to touchy. But that I can turn the wheel and let go and continue to go around the corner and than I have to pull the wheel back to streight.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
That is how mines is. I never gave it any thought. I had a scion xa and xb, I hated the steering in both vehicles. I loved my tacoma as it was self centering and was easy to steer with your pinky lock to lock at any speed.

My geo metro was too quick at self centering and it was easy to dislocate your thumb if it catches it the wrong way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It doesn't take an 1/8 of a turn before it responds.If anything it is to touchy. But that I can turn the wheel and let go and continue to go around the corner and than I have to pull the wheel back to streight.
That's basically what I thought you were saying originally (see my previous posts), and I'd say that's pretty much normal for this car. The only thing I can say is to maybe take solace in the fact that there is no scenario in which letting go of the steering wheel while moving is particularly safe. Just re-center the steering wheel after a turn and move on ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
For what it's worth, while driving around a parking lot today, I paid particular attention to this issue, and my car does the same thing. After making a full-lock right hand turn (for instance) and then letting go of the steering wheel while accelerating out of the turn, the steering wheel almost self-centers, but stops short. It's definitely somewhere in the 1-2 o'clock position (or 10-11 o'clock position if from a left hand turn).

I've never really noticed it before, but still don't really consider it a problem - we're meant to keep our hands on the wheel, after all ;). I guess it's just the way it is on this car...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts