Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Poor steering

Mine does the same thing, I remember when I first got it my arm would get tired because the steering wheel was stiff to turn and it did not self center. You had to drive it down the center of the lane rather than make subtle corrections and allow it to reset back to center on its own. After 30k miles it seems a little better or it could be that my arm is stronger and I have just gotten used to it. Annoying

·
Registered
161 Posts
For what it's worth, while driving around a parking lot today, I paid particular attention to this issue, and my car does the same thing. After making a full-lock right hand turn (for instance) and then letting go of the steering wheel while accelerating out of the turn, the steering wheel almost self-centers, but stops short. It's definitely somewhere in the 1-2 o'clock position (or 10-11 o'clock position if from a left hand turn).

I've never really noticed it before, but still don't really consider it a problem - we're meant to keep our hands on the wheel, after all ;). I guess it's just the way it is on this car...
Oh, if by steering feedback you mean that it centers itself, my I2 does center itself fully and does so very quickly too. I'm currently at about 13000km. I do think my steering have become lighter over time, but the centering feedback has always been here since day one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This may not be a problem in most of the world but on slushy roads in Nova Scotia it can make winter driving a big problem.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
Try pulling the EPS fuse, see any difference.

Willie

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 2 insights and have exactly the same problem with one and not the other. One is a 2000 standard trans with 60k miles and is only driven during the warm months since I live in the rust belt. It’s steering has alway been effortless and would recenter on the exit of a corner at any speed. The 2004 CVT Insight with 130k miles is driven during winter months and has 4 snow tires mounted. When exiting a turn of any degree you have to straighten the wheel as the road straightens or the car will continue the same degree of turn until you do. Very annoying and actually a bit scary at times even though I never need or want to drive without both hands on the wheel. Am thinking of giving it a bit of toe in to see if it helps.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My wife bought a 2010 Insight. She asked about the tightness in the steering and was told it would loosen-up after it is driven for a few thousand km. After it didn't they did an alignment with no change. Then they replaced the rack and still no improvement. Then was told it is normal for the electric steering as the one at the dealer is the same. We had several people drive the car and they all said it was the worst handling car they ever drove. You can turn the wheel off center about a 1/8 of a turn wile driving and it will stay there. It drives like an old 72 ford truck I had with slightly siezed kingbins. Has anyone had the same trouble.
Fairly vague alright,both my insights kinda wandered

21 - 26 of 26 Posts