Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Insight and I've noticed that the steering does not return back to center after I make a turn or if I'm on a mountain road. No matter what direction I turn the wheel. This seem kind of dangerous. Has anybody had this problem?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
This is normal for the Insight. Many other cars have a front suspension geometry that induces a greater centering force then the Insight.
It's more dangerous that people rely on the centering force instead of moving the steering wheel themselves.
I instruct advanced performance driving courses and compete on race tracks in summer and ice racing in winter. I've driven dozens of different cars from cheap to exotic. The best cars I've driven have steering with only a very mild centering force like the Insight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it's just something I need to get use to. It freaked me out the first time I drove it but I've only have the car for 2 weeks. Other than that I love it!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,923 Posts
Do you realize that the INSIGHT has a "electrical assist" power steering and not "Hydraulic". That is why there is no "center return". ;)

Willie

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I thought that it had to do with 0 toe...

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It has nothing to do with the the fact the steering is electric assist, because if it was important they would have easily designed the Insight with more self-centering steering.

THE EFFECTS OF CASTER
Caster is the angle to which the steering pivot axis is tilted forward or rearward from vertical, as viewed from the side. If the pivot axis is tilted backward (that is, the top pivot is positioned farther rearward than the bottom pivot), then the caster is positive; if it's tilted forward, then the caster is negative.

Positive caster tends to straighten the wheel when the vehicle is traveling forward, and thus is used to enhance straight-line stability.
http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts