1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear members,
My car failed the MOT today, the reason was the following:
"steering wheel has movement relative to the column indicating looseness"
I have the car for almost 2 years and the wheel has always been like this, yes, it has a little movement, but works perfectly, it doesn't pull or make any sound.
Up till now, it was always serviced at Honda and passed the MOT with flying colours, they never raised an issue with the wheel.
Today the MOT was done in a small, independent garage, they said that it might be just a few screws that need tightening, but it is also possible that the car is a write off!
Did any of you have similar issues? If so, was it repairable and what was the cost?
Many thanks for your help,
Zsu

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
I think I would find another repair facility/inspection station.
What are the "looseness spec"?
"A few screws needs tightening" = MORE MONEY.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
If there is movement of wheel with respect to shaft, then the steering wheel mounting bolt is loose, or the splines have gotten worn from a long-term loose bolt, or both. You can remove the airbag wheel center with just a few Phillips head screws and inspect it yourself. The bolt is 14mm.

BE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE 12V BATTERY SO THAT THE AIRBAG HAS NO POWER.

Borrow, acquire, own a 14mm socket and a breaker bar and tighten the bejeezes on the thing. Even if the splines are loose, that might get it tight enough to pass inspection.

This isn't a frequent failure, so there are probably good steering shafts available in UK breaker yards.

Our member retepsnikrep is up in Hull and works so to help UK members keep their cars operating. It is a long drive, but he IS the UK expert. He does a lot of IMA work, but not sure whether he does mechanical work. Do you have a time "window" to get the car fixed?

Another possibility, depending on where they are measuring shaft position, is that there is wear in the universal joint in the shaft. If that is the case, then the joint will have to be replaced. Again, a breaker yard and a mechanic.

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
Unfortunately I don't do mechanical work, or work on the G2. :(

However any local competent independent garage should be able to sort the problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Sorry Zsu. Most of the stuff I said applies to the Gen1 specifically, but I think it all also applies to the Gen2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi WW,
Thanks for the answer.
I attached a video, this is probably the easiest way.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you tried to attach a video, it did not work. When posting attachments, you must use "go advanced" the quick replies will not work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

Thank you, guys, for your messages.
It was a screw/bolt that was loose, the mechanic tightened it and the car passed the MOT. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts