Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone with a shop manual be so kind as to let me know the torque value (either in 'nm' or 'ft.lbs.') for the steering wheel nut.

Thank you in advance.

- Qship

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
39 NM or 29 Ft Lbs

What are you doing?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick,

Thank you for the response.

Hopefully installing an S-2000 steering wheel in my Insight later this week. I picked a good one up from an E-Bay auction for a mere $6.00 and figured I'd give it a try.

Any advice regarding the installation would be appreciated (I believe I have the tools, and know to disconnect the battery and let the capacitor discharge for 15 minutes before starting in on it).

-Qship

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hmmm, I thought the Insight already had a S-2000 steering wheel. I am fairly sure that is what the literature says, but I have not actually compared the two wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
They do "look" identical. But one feels different (factory stitched leather, I installed one too ;) )

Expect the spline index to be different and the stering wheel no longer will be perfectly centered. The old trick of equally and in the same direction tweaking the tie rods to correct this is _extremely_ difficult. You can try but expect a needed alignment. :/

And about 2 minutes with the battery disconnected (and should remain so throughout the proceedure) is sufficient. And don't forget to sync the cable reel too :!:

HTH! :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S2000 Steering Wheel Successfully Installed - Thanks

Thanks Rick, John , and all.

The installation went very well. Working slowly, it took less than an hour - including the 15 minutes I waited to begin once disconnecting the battery.

Here's how it went: Once the battery was disconnected (the one in the engine compartment - not the IMA), I let it sit for 15 minutes. I then pried the two housing covers off each side of the wheel and took a torx T-30 socket to undo the two sides of the hub/airbag housing underneath (the hub/airbag then practically drops in your lap). The airbag and horn connectors disconnects easily (if you're heavily pulling & prying you're not doing it right, the airbag electrical connector disconnects fairly easily with with a subtle technique which you can learn by trial & error in a few minutes - no I cannot explain it better). The nut is then removed (with a 14mm socket), then you put the new wheel in and button it all up. Easy.

My original foam steering wheel was getting kind of nasty (as has happened to some of you as well) and, for only $6.00 (plus $12.00 shipping) and less than an hours effort, it was a great value for a very nice improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts